View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Networking Sites 
All-star
All-star

Recently in the news teachers have been in "hot water" for their actions and comments on social networking sites such as Myspace and Facebook. A few of these teachers have lost their jobs due to this. Do you feel it is acceptable or appropriate for teachers to have their own pages for personal use, and where do you feel the line should be drawn. If you do feel it is ok for educators to maintain their own pages then, in a world where students are increasingly more knowledgable about technology than many educators, how will you handle situations where your students may find your page? I myself have struggled with this topic and currently have my own page set to completely private. I feel that if my future students cannot see my information (other than where I went to school and when I graduated), and I can deny their requests for "friending" me, then I can control the situation. As far as employers or other teachers/administrators, I believe that I will keep the information on my page to a minimum and will monitor not only what I say, but also what others post, since my friends are a reflection of me. All in all, I have entertained the idea of deleting my pages in entirety to avoid the headache of making sure I am being portrayed in a respectable manner.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that people should always have a right to express themselves to a certain extent; I think that when you are a teacher though, you have to be extremely careful in this area. When you become a teacher, you become a role model for the students in your class; they look up to you and are constantly scrutinizing and in some cases copying your actions. I think that if teachers have a face book page or a MySpace page, then they should be conscious of what they do and say on these sites, because not only could it be inappropriate, it could hurt some of your students to see this stuff. If you do have something that you do not want your students to see, then just make sure you keep those things private, so that you can have your free expression without it hurting others.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too agree that you should be conscious of the fact that you are promoting information about yourself on the internet and risking the chance that one of your students might see your personal sites. Therefore, I believe you should be aware of the materials that you post about yourself. I personal don't feel threatened if one of my students did see my face book, but thats also because I don't necessarily have anything that would be inappropriate. So as long as you have appropriate materials shown on you page then I don't feel like it's a problem. Although, others may still feel like this is an invasion of their privacy, but we are educators and are suppose to be positive role models for them to look up too. So I believe that we should make an effort to be the best we can be in order to successfully educate our students in all areas of life.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that you need to be careful on things like myspace and facebook as teachers. I believe that it probably would be best to keep them private. I also don't think you should talk about your students through a social network site as the people who got in trouble did. I think any comments about any student should ideally be kept private, but I know that sometimes a person has to talk about it or go crazy, but in my opinion, the internet is not the place to do it. I also agree that you probably shouldn't friend your students on social networking sites because I believe that it might cause you some problems with principals or parents.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]