View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Sports in school 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since we have been reading A Home on the Field by Paul Cuadros, it made me think about the importance of sports in school. I was never really a sports player in school. I was drum major in the band, but that is about it. I always thought sports were great social activities for students but I never really thought of the academic importance of it. This book made me realize that for some students, sports is a big motivator for them to attend school and keep up their grades. In your opinion, how big of an importance is sports for student success in schools?

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think sports are an important part of education. Sports give students a place where they can belong, and where they feel comfortable. A Home on the Field showed this aspect of sports in a clear way. The boys were so different from anyone in their school, but when they played soccer they had a place where they belonged; they had a family. Students on team also help one another on and off the field by tutoring one another and lending support. Sports are also a big motivator for students to do well in school so that they can continue to participate. Sports can also help student further their academic career by allowing them to get scholarships to attend colleges. All in all, I think that sports are an essential part of a school experience; they can benefit many different groups of students in many ways.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Kerry. Sports help students on and off the field. They develop friendships and special bonds that make the, perhaps, underachieving student to have a reason to come to school and potentially make acceptable grades. I'm not sure but I think there are certain grade requirements that students must meet before they can play in actual games (acceptable passing grades). Also, in my PE-3556 class, I learned how there have been studies done whose results say the more physical activity a students gets, there is a higher correlation to good grades. In my high school, we were only required to take one semester of PE when we were freshmen. If a student is involved in sports throughout high school, their grades may reflect their physical activity. This could result in athletic scholarships for these high achieving students to attend college.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that sports are a huge part of academics. Sports not only helps define a person and can boost their self confidence, but it is a motivational tool for going to school and doing well. In my high school if you were not in school for at least a half day you could not practice that day. I know that for me that was a huge motivational tool for me to go to school. The fear of being suspended becasue of grades is something that I also think helps motivates kids to do well in the classroom. Without sports, I do not think I would have enjoyed school very much.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yea sports are definitely integral to the school experience as everyone has already touched upon. It provides another kind of kinesthetic learning that I think is equally important. Students should learn how to use their bodies as well as their minds as the two are interconnected. I certainly met a lot of friends through playing basketball in high school, and my brother's experience playing soccer for high school have been one of the highlights of his life.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my opinion, sports are a huge motivator to keep kids in school and making them work hard to get good grades, especially in big city schools. I know that in my high school in Charlotte a lot of the atheletes wouldn't have been in school if they hadn't played sports. Most of the teams had study halls during the week. I played soccer and we didn't because most of the girls grades were well above average but occasionally there would be a girl struggling in a class and she would have to go to the coaches classroom before practice and work on homework with him until she pulled her grades up. Our basketball team had year round study hall. Every Wednesday after school they had study hall for an hour and the players that had poor grades had to stay for two hours. The coach was there to help them with their work and make sure they were working. If someone needed help and he didn't know how to help them then he would get either another student strong in that area or the actual teacher to come help them. I know that with out the motivation of playing basketball, the coaches dedication, and that study hall some of these boys would not have finished high school.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that sports in school can be a huge motivator for students but I also believe that some get too wrapped up in in sports and do not pay enough attention to their classwork. I played soccer and was on the track team in high school but those were not my main motivators. These activities did give something to look for at the end of the day so I can only see sports as complementary to the school atmosphere.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]