View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What will you take from Foundations class? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As the semester comes to an end, I always like to think of what it is I am taking from all of my classes. I thought it would be neat, since we are all different, to see what ever one got from this class. What did you learn that will make you a better teacher? What's the most important thing that you take from class?

For me, I learned in FDN to never be surprised and to expect the unexpected. We covered some issues in class and from the reading that I never would have thought about. I think it is great that we were able to sit and talk about each different issue and get every ones opinion.

As we part ways and go on to take more classes at this great University, I wish you luck as you prepare to become teachers! :)

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In the past, I have had an idealistic view of teaching. For some reason or another, I have thought that my classroom would somehow be immune from real controversy. There may be a few spats every now and then, but nothing major.
This class has helped me realize that I need to be prepared to deal with issues. Having a classroom of students from all different backgrounds and beliefs is a huge responsibility, so I need to be ready to act and take care of my students, teaching them to respect one another.
Our class on Thursday was possibly my favorite so far. Having to think about a variety of REAL situations made the class seem more practical. It really brought it home for me.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have learned many things in FDN this semester but there are two things that I would like to mention. The first is that I have learned to be prepared. This class has allowed us to share experiences, thoughts, and questions with each other and to learn from one another. We have covered so many topics this semester, and I have learned that you have to be prepared for anything. The unexpected can and often will happen. The second thing that I have learned is the importance of giving students a place where they can feel comfortable in your classroom. In A Home in the Field, I was impressed once again with importance school plays in a child's life. A school should be a child's safe haven from the rest of the world.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I must admit, when I first came into this class I hadn't really thought about some of the things that we talked about or how they would be involved in my profession as a teacher. For example, I never questioned myself as to whether I would be that teacher that treats students differently becuase of their social class, race, etc. After being in this class, I have learned so much about myself, as well as what kind of teacher I think that I may be. I also feel that I will be very prepared, as least much more prepared, for teaching since taking this class.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess the biggest thing that I will have taken away from this class is asking myself how I would respond, and how I should respond, to some of the scenarios we have talked about (For example, religion, class, race, sexuality,etc.).

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that I will take away from this class a much better understanding of the way teachers think, us included. I have learned a lot about the people in the class, much more than any class i have ever had. There were certainly days which I just wanted the class to end so I didnt have to listen to the rambling anymore, but truthfully, deep down I enjoyed it. Its nice knowing that so many different people can be so much alike and be brought together in one class. As for the material, I learned that teaching is going to be a difficult life, but can be very rewarding if want it to be. I wish all of you luck in the future, and I would like to keep in touch with as many of you as I can.

This clip goes along with today's class (DEC 11th) and it is something yall can watch if you are ever having a bad day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm ... re=related

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]