View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Influential Books 
All-star
All-star

Deviating from Katie's topic on useful websites, I wanted to see what books you guys had read that influenced your ideas about teaching. The most influential books that I've read have been The Water is Wide, Teacher Man, The Freedom Writers Diaries, and Dangerous Minds. Each book portrayed teaching strategies that I wish to incorporate into my own classroom, and situations that these individuals dealt with that may arise in my teaching career. Most are about inner-city educators and their area specific struggles. I am very interested in teaching in an urban area, so these books obviously sparked my interest for that reason as well!

Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Great topic. I love to hear about books to read to improve my teaching. For me the books that have had the biggest influence on my teaching perspective is The Tao of Jeet Kun Do, Artist of Life, Warrior Within, and other Bruce Lee books. He was a martial arts teacher and invoked many a great principles in his teaching style. For instance, the concept that as a teacher you are not giving students knowledge , but rather guiding them to a place of understanding for themselves. Another important principle was the ability to critical think about things and teach students to do likewise. The Bible has also been big. Jesus was an amazing teacher who allowed people to come to their own conclusions through his thought provoking questions ie. the Socratic method.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]