View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Technology 
All-star
All-star

As college students we are being taught to incorporate technology into all of our lesson planning through the use of powerpoints, computer activities, SMART board activities, or other technologies. As I start looking back on many of my lessons created this semester I realized that the majority of them have components that involve technology, usually either a powerpoint or a video clip from united streaming.

This got me thinking. I think it's a good thing that we are being trained to use technology daily in the classroom, but what about schools that don't have the technology. Is it possible for those students to receive the education they need to succeed in society without daily or even any interactions with technology in their classrooms. If they can't get the full education they need without it, how can we teach them these skills if there are no resources to gain technology equipment for the school? Is our society more reliant on technology than it should be or is it currently balanced well?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You have some important questions here. I think that our society's dependence on technology is something that is here to stay whether or not we are becoming too dependent on it. That is why it is so important that we educate our students on the different types of technology in the world today. The jobs are changing and in the future there will be jobs that we can't even imagine today so keeping them up to date with what is around today I think is very important.
There is a huge problem with schools not being provided the adequate resources they need in order to teach our students about technology. It might sound a little bit idealistic but I think in situations where our schools are providing adequate technological resources to our students, it is part of our responsibility as teachers to try and gather those resources for them. I know it is a lot of extra work but there are so many grants and other funds for teachers to apply for and if you really are passionate about it and try hard, who knows you might just get what you are shooting for. It stinks that teachers have to do all of that extra work because our schools aren't provided adequate funds but do what you have to do I guess.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a great question. I definitely agree with the previous poster in that it is important for teachers to gather the resources necessary for student growth. I also think that teachers need to be more aware in how they use technology. I have had a lot of teachers who simply read off overheads or use smartboards in ways that could be done on a regular dry erase board. Therefore I think that the use of this technology is just as serious as the provisions for it.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]