View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Upper Grades Teachers vs. Elementary Teachers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How hard do you guy think it would be for a teacher that starts out in as a high school teacher to become an elementary school teacher at some point? Or Visa Versa? Do you think it would be a very difficult transition? Did you have teachers in high school that you are quite sure could or couldnt be effective at the elementary level?

I ask this because I may consider teaching at the elementary level at some point in my career. I knew teachers in high school that I do not believe would be effective teachers at the elementary level simply because they lacked the caring and ability to deal with people that elementary teachers must have. I for one believe that elementary school teachers have a much harder job, but also a job that can be very rewarding to both them and the student.

What do you think?

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that some teachers can make the transition from elementary to high school or high school to elementary, but I would say it takes a special person. Even though they are both teachers a high school teacher and an elementary teacher have very different jobs. Also you are dealing with two very different age groups and attitudes. If you teach the early elementary they are very loving but they are also very dependant on others. Where if you teach high school you might not receive much love from your students, but they don't need to hold your hand through everything. Whenever anyone switches who they are teaching I think it is very important to keep an openmind and do the best you can to meet your students needs.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree kelsey, it takes a special person. hopefully if i choose to do that, i will be able to be one of those people.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]