View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What students read...does it really matter? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There are many books that are banned from school systems for many different reasons and there are also AR books that are rated and tested. AR books are used in elementary schools which can be good because the students are still getting to choose what they want to read but the selection is slightly limited. When a student is learning to read isn't it more important that they spend a lot of time reading and not really what they are reading. Do you think it matters what a student reads? Why do schools encourage reading so much but then limit what the students get to choose from to read?

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think there should be a limit on some issues. but i will agree that it is probably too limited in some cases.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do no think that children should be limited to what they can read as they are learning to read or later in life for that matter. I believe that the more types of reading material that they are exposed to the more likely they are to become "highly educated." In my opinion banning of books seems to stem from a lack of confidence in our children's ability to think independently but productively at the same time. Let them think for themselves and determine what is right or wrong and they will learn at an early age how to make decisions for themselves.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]