View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 NC Teacher Turnover Rate 

Kozol made reference to teacher turnover rate in the areas he visited. He also stated he was led to wonder if the turnover rate was due to mandates, as far as teachers being told what particular programs and terms to use. He spoke of many teachers being forced to teach rigid programs with little room for a unique delivery of material and originality in student assignments. It peeked my curiousity as to the teacher turnover rate in NC. The state DPI site has the turnover rate listed at 12.95% up from 12.37% in 2003-2004. The year 2004-2005 was the most current listing on the website. This average is still below the national average of 15.7%, yet steadily increasing. I can't help but think of Kozol's examples in his book and the mandated regulations in NCLB. There are also many programs that have been mandated for use by local school systems, such as Algebraic Thinking, Language! and many others. Are we not being told how to deliver instruction the same as these teachers? Could our increasing turnover rate be due to NCLB requirements and mandated programs? Not totally we know, but I am led to believe it has at least some affect. I am going to also enclose the link for local turnover rates by LEA. It's interesting to think of in association with Kozol's examples, even though slightly less drastic. http://www.ncpublicschools.org/sbe_meet ... genda.html

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 1 post ]