View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Underlying Theme 

Throughout our classes together and our reading, there seems to be one underlying theme. In Kozol's book, he told us of schools in which students seemed to be a part of a viscious continuing cycle with no one willing to stand up and fight for them. They were from "the other side of town" and quite frankly, forgotten. In Dicken's book, the ideas of imagination and creativity were strictly forbidden to a young girl, whom was in turn, miserable. The video, People Like Us, gave us a glimpse of a young man who wanted more, whose mother questioned his motives and did not understand his longing for more than his "plot in life". Jo Vega, in the video last night, was met with non-acceptance and had to fight to try to fit into a place where she didn't seem to belong. Since beginning our reading and our class discussions, one word keeps resounding in my head...intimidation. People are intimidated by what they don't understand. They are afraid to challenge the status quo, because they are intimidated by the reaction they may receive. Dustin's students were very accepting of disabled students once they understood the way they communicate. It's very easy to make yourself "ignore" or to poke fun at those people or situations you don't understand. Intimidation defines our actions many times. I believe it may take awareness that we are all sometimes intimidated, to bring about change...what do you think?

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:16 pm

I agree. I had never really thought about that way. I am not sure if it always about feeling intimidated as much as a feeling of not being comfortable in dealing with what one doesn't understand. I can think of times when I have been put in a situation that I was unsure of. It wasn't always that it intimidated me, but often I was uncomfortable with the fact that I might do something wrong or handle the situation in an inappropriate way and make someone else feel uncomfortable. I think sometimes people stand back because they are just not real sure how to act or react. I think the intimidation factor comes in to play more when we move from one class to another. Often the upper class intimidates the lower and vice versa. You are definitely right Deby, there is a united theme that we are gathering from all of our materials.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:39 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]