View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Is the SAT really an aptitude test? 

I'm still not clear on how a test like the SAT is an aptitude test. I don't understand how any of the material on that particular test is inherent in our brain pans when we're born! Even the company producing the SAT has taken the word "aptitude" out of the title of the test! I believe that the material on the SAT is more reflective of the vocabulary and mathematics we learn in high school. An antonym is not something we're born knowing, we have to learn what the word "antonym" means at some point in our schooling! I don't think I've ever encountered a toddler who said, "Guess what! The antonym of hot is cold." We have to learn about circles in school before we can conclude that the area of a circle is equal to pi times the radius squared. How is this inherent? I understand the purpose of the SAT as a means of measuring how well a student may perform in his/her first year of college, but I absolutely disagree that the SAT is an aptitude test similar to an IQ test! :roll:

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 am

I hear you, Michael. Being a very low SAT person, I would like to think that it measures very little aptitude. I feel I didn't do well because I didn't study vocabulary not because I was born unable to decipher information to properly dissect an analogy. In the book The Giver, I would have been a birthmother based on my scores. :shock: Maybe we should just have a committee like the group of elders instead of DPI or ETS. :wink:

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:33 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]