View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Application Process in Nickel and Dimed 

I guess I had never considered the biases that are contained in just applying for a position. The author kept referring to all of the requirements for application such as, drug testing and the length of surveys and interviews. It takes money for gas to be able to travel between jobs for interviews and drug testing. In many cases people have to pay for drug testing out of pocket. Aside from the money, many people have other children. It takes money to find baby sitters or at the least to find a family member to sit for them and gas money to get the children there. I have never really thought about the process and the hardships of some people finding work, because I've always had the means to get myself from one place to another. I have been in the same job for 14 years now and I can't imagine not having any money or low income and worrying about gas money to get myself to an interview or even the proper clothing to wear. There are biases everywhere we turn, the problem remains... how we overcome them!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:21 am

Yes, the expense of job hunting for people with little to no resources is quite the burden. However, it must be even more frustrating to knowingly, or unknowingly, apply for jobs that don't even really exist at the time. Ehrenreich spoke of how she would search the job postings, and then when she went to apply for one of the listed jobs, she was told that they were not hiring at the time. I've worked many minimum wage jobs, sometimes three at a time while I was also going to school. It truly is stressful, but you gotta do what you gotta do to make ends meet! Many of us might even be familiar with the full-time salary job (teaching) and having to work additional part-time minimum wage jobs to cover the cost of living...especially in the area we live. I know that I am EXTREMELY aware of this!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:56 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]