View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ishmael 

After I got over the whole Gorilla communicating telepathically I started to see some interesting points he brought up. Are we destroying the earth and taking everything without regard to the animals or nature?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:40 pm

I agree completely. Gorilla communicating telepathically is weird and proves to be very strange reading.
While reading the book- - I did stop and think about the whole creation story from the beginning of the book. I do feel like humans, regardless of race or creed, feel that the world was created for us. The plant and animal life is only here to serve us. What would the planet be worth if humans did not exist? Even if we are the superior beings on the earth does that give us the right to take whatever we need without considering the effects or harm imposed on others?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:52 pm

Ah...ha...!!! So the Takers are republicans... or are they the organizers of testing at DPI???? :shock:

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 am

I think we do take without a thought for the most part. We reduce, reuse and recycle supposedly. Yet, we continue to take from our surroundings in other ways. But...to be a civilized society, are we not taught that we should be in control? We control supply to a degree and we control demand. We control how we use our resources and we control other countries use of our resources. Control over our surroundings and situations makes us civilized...or does it?

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 am
Site Admin

Ah hah, Deby! You certainly put your finger on one of the hardest questions, and one of the questions we will definitely wrestle with tonight.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

My mom had surgery today at Forsythe, and I finally finished the book. I still think that this is the best book from this class for me. The philosophical element of this class came through with this novel. I had to think and consider and apply, which I hadn't done in the other novels. The idea of how things came about seems simple enough, but it is more than just believing in God's way. It's about considering things from different points of view. I really opened up more to this perspective when Dr. Turner told the story about her vols (whatever they are). I wouldn't have thought to let nature run its course. Then I had to come home and think about applying that to the things that happened in the novel and how to apply it to education. I want to make a conscious effort to consider how things came about and why things are the way they are, and try different practices instead of the cultural norms. I don't know if I can.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In today's educational world, it is very hard not to be part of the "taker" ideology. Testing mandates force us to teach a certain way and they try to force our students to achieve at the same rate and level. If we they do not, then the school, teachers, and students are in some way considered failures. As we have discussed in class, we know this not to be the case. Many students increase their testing points, but not to level society demands.
In regards to Ishmael, are we forcing students to become what society wants them to become?

Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:29 pm

I agree totally with what Callie said everyday we are pushing students to become what we think they should be without stopping to get feedback on the way they feel about things. I thought about the book The Giving Tree where the tree gives and gives until there's nothing left to give and I am sure that a lot of the students feel this way when they try and try, but they can't reach a point where they are considered successful.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:38 pm

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]