View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Democracy 

As the Congolese people gained their independence and became a democratic nation, it was interesting to see the transformation that the village went through. I have always seen democracy as the ultimate form of government. Everyone is allowed a say in the matters at hand (if they choose) with the majority winning out. Yet, I had never looked at it the way these people did. The majority can be nothing more than one more than the minority. What that ultimately boils down to is that 49% of the population is dissatisfied with the decision. In a large population I still feel that this is the best way to get things done. Yet, in this small village it became a conflict. These people had always hashed out until everyone was in agreement with the decision. While it may have taken time, it was there means of getting things accomplished. Was there some give an take involved, most definitely, but in the end everyone was satisfied. Here, in the democratic sociey, we do not meet half way, someone is always the winner and someone is always the loser. Those who lose are expected to put their ideas behind them and support those ideas of the people in charge. Is one way better than the other? I think it depends on the circumstances. However, I do believe in that old saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." I believe that things can change for the better, but it takes time and effort from all parties involved. The new idea of democracy was implemented in the village without any knowledge of how it truly worked. As a result, villagers lost all individuality. Gods were chosen and traditions were broken through the method of popular vote.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:41 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 1 post ]