View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 A teacher is only wrong if they choose that. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While reading the article about What is Wrong with American Teachers, all I could think was that this man must have had a very poor experience teaching and being taught. As a teacher it is your duty to inspire your students and to help them find themselves. Yes, there are some teachers out there who overlook those students that are reaching out and who follow every single guideline given to them by administration. But there are a countless number of teachers who branch out on their own in order to help their students. I personally know several teachers who step out of that box they are supposed to stay in and encourage their students to think for themselves. It is your choice as a teacher to either imprison your students in the cinder block hole that they come to daily or to have them reach out and really find out what true learning is. :D

Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with what you have to say. Throughout my years in school, I have had teachers who have gone way beyond my expectations in order to ensure that their students succeed. These teachers are the people who inspired me to want to become a teacher myself. Children cannot make it through school on their own, and it is the teacher's job to do whatever he/she has to do to help those children succeed. The rewards that come with watching a child grasp a difficult concept for the first time, or graduating and moving on to the next grade level are beyond anything else a teacher could ever witness. On the downside, we have all had teachers who seemed as if they wanted nothing to do with teaching a room full of kids. It is unfortunate that these types of teachers remain in our schools, but I think future teachers like ourselves can take these apathetic teachers and learn from their mistakes in order to perfect our own styles of teaching.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While reading Erin's response I couldn't help but think about my teachers in high school and even in college. Those teachers that take their time teaching the students and not just throwing the information at them are the ones who truly make a difference. Since we are all in this class because we want to become teachers, I think we can all probably recall that one special teacher that helped us become who we are. Then again, we can probably all recall one that was influential because of how bad of a teacher they were. I know that everyday I make sure that I am nothing like one of my high school English teachers. I, too, think we have a lot to learn from both types of teachers in order to better ourselves as teachers.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post ..
i agree with all of you. I have had one in particular teacher that went out of her way to make sure all of her students had the chance to succeed and make something of themselves. I feel that it is are duty to try and make the even impossible children become something better or atleast have a chance to. these children do not deserve to be ignored. They are the ones that need the most help because alot of them just need attention because maybe they are not getting it at home. I agree also with kathleen when she says "It is your choice as a teacher to either imprison your students in the cinder block hole that they come to daily or to have them reach out and really find out what true learning is."...

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's interesting to see that we are all Education Majors of one flavor or another and that we all seem to had experience with teachers that stepped "out of the box" for us in ways that helped us personally. If they hadn't existed then think of what we would have done with our lives. We would have been completely different people if we hadn't had that kind of support.

This brings up another question for me though. If we are all this internally motivated to teach and expand the spectrum of who we consider ourselves to be as educators, then why do we need the state coming behind us with standardized tests to make sure we do our job? Especially when we're certified?

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read an article in my 3850 class and the author was doing "experiments" with a young boy and followed him for a few years. The boys mom tried to get the teacher to hold him back but the principle moved the boy up anyways. It is so sad that there are people in the school system that do not care the best interest of the students. The mother tried to tell the school that she could not read and for them to call her instead of send home notes, the principle kept sending notes home with the boy. All of this happened until the author stepped in and talked to the school, only then was everything changed.
While reading everyone's responses I love to see that there are teachers that have influenced all of us. Like everyone else, I too had a very influential teacher. You can just tell when teachers no longer what to be in that position, it is sad that they still continue to teach. I remember a teacher that was the worst teacher that I ever had, she was very negative and would put students on the spot. She would never want to help the students with questions and would pick favorites. That is something that no student should have to experience, and for some the teacher is far worse of the one I had. Teachers that act like they care about their students can make a HUGE impact on their class.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i completely agree with all of you! I think it is amazing how one bad teacher or one good teacher can change you. I have had my share of bad teachers and just a hand full of good ones. As an up-in-coming teacher i hope to be one of those "good teachers". It is my job to help each and every student in my class. I look at my father who is an 8th grade algebra teacher and his philosophy is to teach only those who want to learn. We constantly bicker because i completely disagree. I believ every student wants to learn, it is just my job to figure out how to teach him/her. I had a teacher who made every single one of her students feel smart and want to do well. No one entered her classroom without a smile and withotu wanting to learn. I hope to have that type of environment in my classroom. I want to teach K-2 and i know that it is my job to teach my students the basics, the things that they will use from here on out. I am the base holding it together. I can only hope that after my students leave my classroom, they will have other great teachers who will only build on what i have taught them.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]