View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Truly Unquestioning Obedience? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that McCarthy does raise an interesting question, looking at the dangers of teaching kids to obey without question. However, I think that she overlooks the fact that nearly all students question their teachers' and administrators commands and assignments.
I am a Middle Grades major, and the fact that young adolescents begin to question everything their parents told them, and in fact all authorities (except perhaps fashion rules from the mass media) is well supported by research in this field. This is one of the reasons the field of middle grades education is seen as so difficult and frustrating: because kids just won't do what you tell them to do.Certainly some teachers resort to yelling and insisting without any explanation, but I think more successful teachers at least explain how an assignment will help their students learn, or how a particular rule protects students.
This questioning nature doesn't disappear after middle school, either. Many students remain resistant, and many who comply with rules and assignments do so because they have weighed the consequences of not obeying against the benefits of doing their own thing and decided (grudgingly) that it's best to just go along.
Having gone to American public schools, can we really say that we are turning out individuals who bow to any authority?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Schools are used to help teach children what is right and what is wrong, ie following rules set forth by the teacher. When the students exit schooling, I would hope that they have an understanding that there is right and there is wrong and that there is someone who has the higher power than them to say what acts are which. We are not teaching them to obey any person who says they are of an authoritarian figure. I see it as we are teaching students that yes there are people who are more powerful than you and can set rules, and the options are to follow and be ok or to not follow and face the consequences. The students are then left to judge what is considered an appropriate authority to follow. Some will see the cops as not being powerful enough for them to follow, and those students end up in trouble. Other will follow almost what anyone says because they feel that they are only allowed to agree with anyone who asserts authority.

Its an interesting thought to think about, since in a way we are teaching them to follow who ever has the power. At the same time, though, I hope we are also teaching them to question all authority.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that teenagers are rebellious in their own way. They're out there trying to figure out who they are and I don't think that they conform to rules easily. I also agree that schools are utilized to teach subject matter as well as the difference between right and wrong. As Rachel suggested, it would be best for the students' understanding if the teacher explained why a rule was instated or why an assignment was given rather than just handing it out and say that that's just the way life goes. I think teenagers have a questioning mind and that they don't accept rules as easily as McCarthy suggests.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that this is a great question Rachel. I know that I did go to school with some people who would be obedient and never question any authority. However, I also went to school with many people who were always questioning authority. These people were constantly searching for the truth behind everything we were taught.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post ...
i think the people who try and break the rules and try to find out the truth behind everything just are curious in their own way or looking for attention. They might go about things in the wrong way by being rebellious but, thats when its the teachers and parents job to whip them back into shape. But they just might be curious and just question things without acting out in a bad way. For those people it is our job to encourage their curiosity and let them think for themselves and explore the truth behind what they question.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What I am about to say may be silly and could even be deemed as playing devils advocate here, but aren't the students doing just as the book states by just showing up to school? I mean i get what you're pointing out by saying that students don't listen to teachers all the time or they disobey, but aren't they not listening and disobeying from the confines of a classroom? This may be a stretch but what if little Timmy got out of the car or bus when dropped off at school, and instead of actually entering the school like the rest of cattle he simply walked away? What if he did what he wanted for the day only to return back to the bus stop or car pool pick up at the end of the school day? I mean granted someone would take notice of his absence and notify his parents and the parents would take further action, but one must ask them selves is disobeying while in the confines of a structured settlement really bucking the system? I think the "Ground Hog Day" reflective days of schooling are very reminiscent of a prison with no guns and gates to keep the prisoners in its confines. There is nothing keeping the children their but the laws, which as a child laws mean nothing to you because how can you fully grasp them, and the warning of falling behind the rest of your age adjusted social hierarchy. "If you don't stay in school you surely wont succeed in life", these are the words which act as mental restraints from bucking the system when all honesty some great minds and millionaires alike have rebelled and succeeded. To bring this completely hypocritical point of view full circle I would just summarize it all by saying how can you truly be defiant in school or in any situation if you almost religiously attend it?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Those are some good thoughts Brandon. The only thing I could think of would be to say that students attend (which is following the rules) but then break the rules within the school because of consequence. Most students understand that if they do not go to school at all then their parents can get in trouble as well (truancy rules). Even those I knew who broke every rule in the book hated to see their parents get into trouble because of something they had done. Also, when they are breaking the rules in the school they have mild punishments that are administered by the administration, mostly iss, oss, or detention. These are very mild compared to what could happen if they outright skip. Students are smarter than they are given credit for. I figured out the system before I got to high school so who knows when they are figuring things like this out now. Just my thoughts on what you said.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]