View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 School as Preparation 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We talk a lot in our methods classes about preparing students for things. I remember when my teachers were trying to get us to learn things that seemed to lack relevance, they would always say "you need this to be ready for ___" the next step. In fifth grade when we had to have organized binders, we were told that it was to prepare us for middle school. Algebra in middle school was to prepare us for high school--same thing for diagramming sentences. All those papers in high school were to prepare us for college writing. And now at university we talk about preparing our students for these things as well as state tests.
All that talk about preparation never quite left me convinced. I remember complaining to a teacher "We're always having to do stuff so we're ready to do more stuff to get us ready to do other stuff. What's the point?" That's why I love John Dewey's statement about what the school is: "Education, therefore, is a process of living and not a preparation for future living."
What better way for school to be relevant than to make it about now? Engaging students' interests by showing the applications for their learning in the now, getting them engaged in the community, asking them to bring in their own questions and interests? And don't think I'm forgetting the inevitable testing. But how can we expect our students to care if they're only learning something to pass a test?

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Understanding the why behind learning is honestly one of the most important things a teacher can communicate. A rationale for the things we learn is what links it to us. Its what helps us take information on as our own.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think you made a strong point. This idea of preparation alone forgets the real purpose of education. I remember as well the constant excuses of what I was doing now was to prepare me for the future when all I wanted to do was remind them that I'm in the present. When I was younger I focused on the here and now rather than what lay ahead and I understand the purpose of preparation but I would like to understand how it helps me currently. I agree with Dewey's statement, I want to live in the now, not for the future.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree. I HATED math and I would always ask...."Why are we learning this?" or "How is this going to help us?" I feel like if I had a good answer to those questions in high school, it might have helped me to want to learn it more. Instead I would get replies like, "Because you have to" or "Because it's on the test." I understand all that, but when I am a teacher I want to provide my students with real answers. This might make them more motivated to learn.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this is a huge problem that all teachers face with students. Society has created so much pressure for students to meet certain standards, and thus they miss out completely on the entire learning process. I think for one thing, teachers need to make sure their students are focusing on the "here and now" aspect only, instead of what they will get in the future. Also, I think that if teachers make class activities and lessons fun and interesting enough, students will become much more engaged in learning and, as a result, they may forget about everything that is to come in the future.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In reply to Rebecca, no worries. I am a math major and I still feel the need to ask why we have to learn things in my math classes today. Sometimes I feel like they just teach us some things so we have enough classes to fill up our hours. I honestly just learn the things so that I know it for a test and then completely forget about it. I wish teachers were actually taught the true meaning of education. Maybe after they do some revisions or get rid of No child left behind... who knows!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe it's really important to give every student a reason why they are learning what they're learning. Even sometimes if the reason is because it will be on the test, the test that I didn't make or can control. It would be false to say that knowing the method behind the madness will always produce motivation on the student's part. But for some people, it may not produce motivation, but possibly help stop obstinance. Also as a teacher, keeping the "boring" material as interesting as possible is kind of our job, which we need to remember. We need interest our learners in the learning process and help to instill a love of learning. I think by providing justification and practical application can definitely help.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was one of those students that didn't need to know the reason I was doing something, I was going to do it because I wanted a good grade. However, plenty of my friends wanted to know why a particular activity was being assigned and unless they understood why or were really interested in the project, they would slack off and not put in 100% on the activity. I think it's important for teachers to offer reasoning for their assignments for students like my friends and I do think that if we can relate our activities to their life beyond school that it will help motivate them to do well.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with the notion of giving a rational behind assignments and tests. If there is a reason as to why I need to do something or a reason why I have a specific assignment, and it is a valid reason, then I am much more likely to do the said assignment and put more effort into it. I think it is very important, along with the rest of you, to give a reason to do something. I think this applies in every field of life, not just schools.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]