View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Urban Debate Team video 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought the video we watched in class today, about the Warriors Debate Team, was excellent. I thought the debate coach displayed a perfect example of what teaching is all about! The way he turned some of those students lives around was incredible. He was devoted to his students 24 hours a day. I saw genuine love in the students who talked about the impact the debate coach had on their lives. I was deeply moved by this video, and I am wondering what kind of effect it had on all of you. Thanks, peace.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

most definitlely peter! couldn't agree more.

but it really was cool to get to see students get passionate about something. and honestly thats incredible about that student who no longer tested special ed.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed the video. I always thought the debate team was only for the brightest of the bright! Like Jessie said, I really liked the guy that was in a Special Education class and after joining the debate team, tested out of it. I just think that it is so amazing that those students have something to look forward to and someone there to help push them along. I can honestly say that I've never seen anything like that before.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was definitely inspired by the video too! The officer put so much time and encouragement into the students, and I hope that we all too, can have that same mind state.

Such a role model.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought it was an excellent example of being a great teacher and mentor. it just goes to show that one teacher can make a difference. :D

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:53 pm
All-star
All-star

The video was great. It's awesome to see that something so simple as a debate team would inspire these kids to turn their lives around and encourage them to go to college. That officer is an excellent man and am glad to see that there's people in this world who still care about these 'hopeless' kids.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought the video was very thought-proking. I still wonder whether or not that this form would work in every class room setting. It is great that it worked for them. Many student fear to get up and speak in front of people , they would rather interact in a traditional class room setting. They would hat e a debate class, and I fear they would perform poorly. I do think that the debate would be more effective in a class room setting than a extracurricular activity.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I doubt that it would work in every classroom setting, but it's definitely worth a shot! I think the most important element of the whole thing was the teacher. The kids may not be able to see it now, but his guidance and inspiration is what made this method work for them. The majority of those kids don't have the role model that they need at home to help them succeed in school, and he was able to fill that position for them.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this video as well. My biggest goal as a future teacher is to change a student's life in some way or another. And if I can change multiple students' lives, then that would be even better! The video did a great job showing the impact that the teacher had on the debate students, but I think it also did a great job in showing how much work and effort actually goes into helping students succeed. Students look up to a teacher who is with them through everything, pushing them to their max and doing whatever they can to show students they can do anything they put their minds to. I just hope I can have the same passion and dedication that the debate coach had so my students can look up to me like the debate students looked up to him.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]