View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 School Segregation 
All-star
All-star

The video we saw today was new to me because before now, I never heard much about segregation problems in the North. Of course, we learned about the incident in Little Rock, but segregation in the North was not talked about as much. Do you think segregation exists now? And not just with race, but with socio-economic class?

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely think segregation still exists in schools based on social class, which sometimes ties into race. Where I'm from, there was the city school (or the "black school" that everyone else was scared to go to) and then there were the county schools that rarely had more than 15 African Americans and like 7 Hispanics. White kids that lived within city limits often went to private schools. I'm sure that little 'ol Lexington, NC isn't the only place that this occurs, too.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Segregation still exsists but it is more student led now. If you look around at your schools or even here at App, you will see that the students segregate themselves in the lunchroom, gym, etc. Any place that they have free time they naturally (or unnaturally) segregate themselves. You cannot force people to get along or communicate with each other. HOWEVER, you can educate and try to introduce diversity so that other people and cultures unfamiliar are seen as relevant.

Education is power. Ignorance is bliss.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you, Shannon. At this point, segregation has much more to do with human nature, ignorance and socio-economic status than any other sort of outside force. And it only makes sense for students to become friends with other students that are more like them. For example, I went to a school with very little diversity. The students that were bussed in all tended to stick together. And wouldn't we all? They rode together on the same bus to and from school every day and faced many of the same obstacles that were brought about by their race, money, families, and bussing situation. Spending time with people like you maintains your comfort zone.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]