View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Same? Equal? 
All-star
All-star

Let's hear more about this question in class. The two sentences are:
1) We are all the same
2) We are all equal

I don't think the two sentences mean the same thing. They have two different meanings and I think we could go on forever on why the two sentences are different. But also..does anyone think these sentences mean the same thing? Let me know what you think, whether you think they're similar or different.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree with you that the two sentences are different. Like we were saying in class i think that they are about false statements. I do not believe that we are equal or the same.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the statement "We are all equal" is a hopeful comment more than a true statement. Do I feel that we should all be treated with equal human rights, regardless of sexuality, gender, race, religion, whatever...yes. However, if this will ever actually happen, I'm hopeful yet doubtful. And there is no way everyone is the same. Every person has a little quirk about them that makes them an individual, and I don't think I would like the world if everyone was the same. It'd be pretty boring.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the term we are all the same was the incorrect statement. I see the term "the same" as being identical to the person next to you. And I don't know of any two people that are the same. We all have different lives, financial backgrounds, hair colors, heights etc. The statement we are all equal is the true one. We all have the same rights, whether people have the same opportunities or not.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that we are equal in the sense that evrybody has/ or should equal rights, we are all creted equal in the sense that no one is better than anyone else. But we are not the same, each one of us have different attributes which makes us unique.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

These two sentences are defiantly different. The words "same" and "equal" mean two different things. As many of you have pointed out that we can all be different but still should be given the basic human rights. I believe the point that we are all trying to get at is that we should understand the difference in these two phrases and not use them interchangeably. Do not tell a student that they are the same as everyone else, instead tell them that they are different but just as equal. That will be one of my biggest problems I foresee when I get into the class room, is that we have to always be aware of what we say and how we say it. You never know who is listening that might take offense to your statements.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we are all "equal" or should be treated "equal" but we are not the same. We are all very unique in our own ways, and nobody is just alike. However, the differences that make us "not the same" are also the reasons why some people believe we are not "equal". Hmmm. That is a whole other conversation isn't it?

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]