View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 the emitt till movie 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

so I had seen the emitt till documentary before and it really helped to put some things in perspective for me as well as break my heart, but here's my question:

do you think it would be helpful to show this to high school students, specifically a classroom having some problems with seeing beyond race?

or would it potentially create animosity because high schoolers might not think about what the point of the documentary is and just get upset?

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

This is the first time I've seen the film. We didn't talk about race much in high school because I went to a high school that was 97% white. I didn't learn in depth about race problems in the South until I came to college and studied history. It's not that I didn't know we had race problems in the past in high school, it just wasn't talked about.
I think if I saw this video in high school, it would make an impact on me. Even though we had a small population of black people in my school, I never saw them treated poorly. In fact, these black students had a lot of friends and never got treated differently or got singled out.
I guess, too, it depends on where you show the video. There are still a lot of places in the South that are racist and it might create more problems. But the main point of the video would be to show these racist kids that violence towards kids of other races isn't tolorated anymore. If anything, I would wait until these kids were older to show the video.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it would also be good to show students just how recently all of this history took place. They don't get the same impact by reading about these things in a history book. Watching this video would make Emmitt Till's story hit closer to home and make students realize that people are still being affected by these events.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Watching the Emitt Till documentary really makes me angry. I am angered by people's racial prejudices, but I do think that exposing high school students to this kind of violence is very beneficial. There are students who have built up their own prejudices against all different kinds of people and showing the documentary, and possibly discussing the holocaust along with it shows students what happens when we hate.

I think it's also important to ask why? Why do we hate? Is there a reason? If so what is that reason? Having students ask themselves this question will help them come to a better state of self discovery and self knowledge.

I think also as a teacher to state at the beginning of the semester that your classroom is a zero tolerance zone for disrespect, verbal abuse, and physical abuse, because these things only perpetuate hate.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the documentary would be too much for many high school students to handle emotionally, especially if something like this occurred within their families. The images in it are disturbing. I think it was very tough for many of us to watch, myself included, so I think it may be too much for high school students. I do think we need to discuss acts of extreme prejudice like this, the holocaust, and unfortunately many others. The video really opens your eyes to what has happened in our country, and it made me more aware of the racist acts that have happened so recently and so close to home. But I still think many high school students would not be able to handle such extreme content.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would be careful of showing this video, you would not want to have a group of already prejudice students rooting for the white people who murdered Emitt Till. At the same time, this video could be useful so as to teach the effects racism to a junior or senior level in high school. It would greatly depend on the viewing audience though as to what decision would be made.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would show it. I would tell his story. I would also have them read the book Blood Done Sign My Name, a true story by Timothy B. Tyson. I would even try to get the author to come and speak to my school, and maybe do a book signing. He is usually willing to do so! Kids need to be taught about extreme racism. If they are taught about the history from the past, maybe it is not repeated in the future. I believe in telling them the cold hard truth if that is what it takes to build tolerance and diminish bigotry. I know some kids are sensitive like you brought up in class the other day; I am one of them, but I would be willing to cry if others could grow from the experience. [/i]

Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

im not sure if i would show it. i think it depends on the grade. I found the movie very disturbing. However the story was good and studenst need to know about it but i wonder how much they need to know or see. It really bothered me seeing his body all beaten up. Like i stated at the beginning, it really depends on the grade level.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]