View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Media Literacy 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In several of my other classes we have been talking about media - in the sense of technology - and how it is affecting the younger generations. It peeves me when I constantly read/hear how the information generation is not capable of critical thinking. I know that the way that we think and interact has changed as a result of technology. I agree that the way in which we communicate has changed significantly. Instead of going and meeting up with comrades we "text" everyone, of this I am guilty as well. I, however, do not think that technology is hurting the way that we communicate, for the most part. I do think that technology has made everything less personal seeing as we talk more via technology than face-to-face. I believe that technology can be used in a very meaningful way and we as future teachers need to show our future students how to utilize these things to the best of our/their ability.
I have not come full circle in what I think/believe in regards to technology and how it could (or couldn't) hinder younger/our generation.

I just wonder what other peoples take on this topic is...

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Technology and its impact on today's youth is undoubtedly a controversial issue; Emily, I am glad you started this conversation. My contention is that teachers have two options - First, they can employee an antiquated attitude which scorns students when using technology such as: "Text-ing," "Twitter," Blogs and IPods. Second, they can embrace technology and realize that although it can hinder learning (by distracting the student), it can also serve as invaluable tool to magnify learning if used properly.

If a teacher chooses to ignore technology and utilize, let us say, a more "traditional" teaching style they are essentially handicapping themselves because students will, regardless of the teacher's instruction, find ways to circumvent their rules. However, a shrewd teacher will understand this, and instead, tailor their pedagogy around technological items that make up their student's lives. For example, almost all students have an IPod or some form of Mp3 player, which could be used as a medium to deliver information the teacher did not have time for in the class. A teacher could start a "Podcast" that a student could listen to on their way to school, working out, or between breaks. In addition, the teacher could include "critical thinking" questions for the students to consider. Furthermore, a teacher could use “Twitterâ€

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 am
All-star
All-star

Technology can be useful in the classrooms. Technology is what kids are used to nowadays, and I've seen it used successfuly. I went to a school that had SmartBoards, as well as remote controls for all the students. The teacher would present a question to the board, say GO and all the kids would buzz in with their answer (a, b, c, d). They were really enthusiastic about this activity, much more so than if the teacher was doing this activity without the remotes and releying on just raising hands. I agree though, that technolgy should be used carefully and properly, but we shouldn't rely on technology for everything. It would be nice to mix traditional teaching with technolgy.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with all of you. Technology can be helpful for us as teachers. I can easily give my students mp3's of all the music we're playing on our upcoming concert. I want to stay up to date on the latest innovations so I can show my students how new technology can further their education. That being said, I will never be okay with my students texting or using iPods during class. We still have to draw the line somewhere, but we are incredibly lucky to have so many tools at our fingertips to help us be effective teachers.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we need to use technology in this classroom surrounded by a growing technological world. We are falling behind other countries and need to take it upon ourselves to learn more to help our students. However, there is a fine line between using technology effectively and using it as a $2000 pencil. Most teachers don't know the difference and the class I took here based on technology wasn't helpful.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just made an iMovie for the Literacy and Technology class, and I see that as an excellent way to engage students in material they may otherwise find boring. I think it is vitally important to relate what we teach to what the students do in their everyday lives. For example, I could take a pop song they all like and show how it is similar to the pieces I am teaching them.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've been learning numerous ways to bring technology into the classroom so that I can teach my students in the way that they're used to learning. Our future students will be on the Internet constantly, making them extremely technology savvy. Since I'm not, I think it's going to be more difficult for me to try and bring technology in the classroom but I'm willing to give it a shot in order to help my students learn at their best. The Internet also offers them several ways to express their learning instead of just writing a paper.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would LOVE to have a set of those "clickers" in class to help my students becoming involved in learning. I think they are such a great idea. This way, I could cover a subject and then ask questions to my class and they could click in their answer. When the results are shown, I can see if my students understood the meaning of the lesson. If they all got it wrong, I could see that I was not clear or confusing. If they all got it, I could move on! I would love to have these, but I know it would be an issue to get the money to receive a classroom set.

Here is a website for an example of a "clicker". I'm sure though, there are many more out there: http://www.iclicker.com/dnn/SolutionsFo ... fault.aspx

Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I like the clickers, too. I have used them in several class in the education department and I think they are a a great way to see where your class stands. They are great since it's harder to see what everyone else is putting and you don't get called out when you are wrong.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is important for students to learn how to deconstruct the media images that they are bombared with everyday. It is important that teachers allow students to interpret for themselves what they see and not spoon feed them their opinions. Only then, can the students make an authentic assessment of what they see.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]