View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 AND TANGO MAKEs THREE 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lets continue the discussion. Would you have this book in your classroom?

This book is iffy for me. Some people said that they would send letters home to the parents. Well would those letters be asking for the parents permission to read the book or would it be saying that the class IS reading the book , and they could pull their child out of class during that time. I think spliting up the class would be wrong. For me the book should be available in the library but should not be in class unless every parent agrees before hand.

Whats your thoughts?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To be honest, I don't even think that I would send a letter home to my student's parents. If a child were to go home and tell their parents about what they read and the parents have a problem with it, I would show them how it fits into the curriculum.

NC Standard Course of Study: Kindergarten
Goal 10
Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others at the same time as values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction (NASPE Standard 5 & 6).

It amazes me that radical Christian and liberal parents can still have so much of an influence on what goes on in a public school. In my junior year in high school, the senior gift for the year was a wall in one of the stairwells adorned with tiles made by each student that was graduating that year. Students were told to paint the tiles in a way that represented themselves (in an appropriate manner, of course). After the tiles went up, a parent complained of the tiles that had crosses painted on them. Students argued that their religion was part of who they were and that they were in no way forcing it on anyone else; they were simply sharing it. In the end, the students lost the fight. The 45 out of 500 senior tiles that had something that represented Christianity on them were taken down. The final decision was made out of the Principal's own fear.

If we do not start standing up for what we believe in, then situations like this will continue to be a problem.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just watched the film The Laramie Project which is based on a terrible hate crime of Mathew Shepard because he was homosexual. This was not too long ago. There is still hate out there and even if I don't agree with it we should not take homosexuality so lightly, especially when teaching it to someone's child. I feel that it is necessary we should send a letter to the students, maybe even hold a meeting for the parents discussing the issue. I do agree the book should be available in the library but if I'm considering teaching such subject matter within the classroom I must be aware of other's views who think that if you are homosexual you are going to hell. It's a sad world we live in to see so much hate but as teachers we must realize this and be careful.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not sure of exactly why people would use this book in the classroom. I hear some people say that the book can be used to teach awareness and others said that the book can be used to teach acceptance. To be aware that there is homosexuality in the world is completely different than accepting it and I think most of us realize this. However there are many parents who do not want their child being exposed to certain things until they are more mature and conscious of the world around them. As teachers, what a great way to teach acceptance to not only our students, but also to the parents by accepting their decision for their children and not using material that offends people. I find it odd though that this book is more accepted among our class than the idea of teaching stories from the Bible to a group of kindergarten children.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this book would definitely have to seriously fit into the curriculum in some way before I used it in my classroom. As an future elementary teacher, I just don't think that it is appropriate for use. I feel that it would raise too many questions and problems among both the students and parents because it is a situation that has not been entirely accepted in our society today. There are thousands of other children's books out their that show diversity and cultural differences that are much more appropriate for children in the lower level elementary grades.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that books like this are needed to help promote respect for all people. If kids are not presented with diversity at a young age, it's extremely difficult to expect them to behave appropriately toward one another as they get older.
However, this kind of book would be hard to justify in a state like NC, where anything but married couples is basically illegal. I'm all for setting myself up for a certain amount of conflict with parents if I have the chance to help kids be not just tolerant but accepting--yet it seems futile to do so when the laws are against me.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Unfortunately I missed class on Tuesday, but luckily I am familiar with the book "And Tengo Makes Three." I have known about the book for some time, and have also done some previous research on it.

I feel that this book is a great tool for diversity and acceptance - at any age. I feel that it gives homosexuality a true image. It involves two male penguins who've been in a committed, monogamous relationship for nearly six year and end up as two terrific dads.

I think it is important to discuss the idea of homosexual students, but what about homosexual parents? This may be less visible from our students however it is just as common. One teacher I have heard about read the book to help the students in her class understand why little Suzie has two mommies. The class read the book, had the two moms attend class that day and answer questions any of the students had.

Many people fear homosexuality in the classroom because they view it as only a sexual act with no emotional features. This book is sure to help with these issues, and show that homosexuals are just like them, and their parents!

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I honestly have no objections to reading this story to my students. It has its place the same as any other book. However, before introducing the book it would be extremely imortant to inform the parents about it. Generally in Elementary education you have a unit on family and I think that it is important for your students to understand that there are all kinds of families. So by reading this book, one with your standard American family, a divorced family, and even about families from other countries provides an insight to the fact that we are all different and we all have families regardless of how they are made.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly, if I was not a PE teacher and I was a elementary teacher I would use this book. As I read through the comments, there is a family lesson that you are required to teach. You may not know but some of your students have 2 dads or 2 moms so it is important to not discriminate. You are going to have controversy either way if you do or dont include this. Just be prepared on how you will answer the parents questions when or if they call!!!

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i am not sure if i would use this book just because of how controversial it is. But i agree with what we said in class that you could use it if you were talking about families and different types of families, it could be appropriate.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i would say that i agree with everyone who is saying we should use the book, but on the same foot i just dont know that now is the time. Some of you may even ask when? I dont know the answer to that question but i do know that the generation that have kids in school right now is not the generation to bring this up to. I feel that if it were all of us that were old and grey in the future then we would be more accepting and understanding. When its our kids in the school i think it would be easier for the future teachers to present this.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a middle grades education major, so the book is a little too juvenile for my classroom. However, if I was a k-3 teacher, I would definitely have it in my classroom. I am sure I would read it to my class, also. I do not support gay marriage or that life style, but I know some of my students will be gay and some of their parents will be gay. Those students will deserve to see books they can relate to in their classroom. I believe in teaching tolerance, and I believe in teaching adolescents to be caring, understanding, and intelligent citizens.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have this book in my class and I would read it to my class. I think it is essential to teach students about different types of families. There are some families out there who would NEVER tell their children about different family structures or homosexual parents/families. Without knowing about differences in family structure it is easy to foresee that a child will be mean/judgmental towards a peer.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would not teach this book in my class. I feel those types of issues are meant for the parents to teach so they can teach their values to their child. I feel like if I did teach this book, then my values would be open to other people's interpretation and that's not an environment I want to teach in..if I was always feeling challenged by parents. These are just a few of my views on why I wouldn't teach this book.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm with Colleen on this one. It completely fits into the standard curriculum for us to be teaching about the diversity and acceptance that is necessary in our society. It is the responsibility of educational institutions to educate society in how to accept everyone for who they are and to temper the hatred that is found through religion and politics. I know the quote, "We have enough religion to hate but not enough to love" may seem a bit harsh, however anything that creates more division than unity, more hatred than love is something that should be left outside of educational policy. Anything that creates more love and understanding needs to be incorporated into education because it is our social responsibility to create a better society.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]