View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Snow Days 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Okay, I realize this post is way overdue, but the Monday before Spring Break I thought about snow days in schools. I think that most teachers try to cram everything they've missed into the next couple of days, but this can lead to information overload and then how much are the students really retaining? What do you guys think would be the best way to catch students up after a snow day or days?

Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Snow days are definitely a challenge for schools, especially in the mountains where they are more frequent. I personally think that snow days can be treated the same way as missing a day in a training routine for a competition. For instance, if I am training to run a race and I miss a day or two, when I get back to work after the time off, I cannot run extra those days to make up for the miles missed on the previous two days because I could end up "overdoing it" and cause myself more harm than good. This said, teachers should not try to cram more information into the students head's to make up for lost time because that can cause more problems such as confusion and burnouts, than could be solved. I have noticed today that our weather services are fairly good in forecasting up to 10 days ahead with a general idea of what to expect. Teachers should probably use these predictions to pace their lessons such that if a storm is coming across the country then perhaps load up a little more than normal so that when school is canceled, there is not as much work to be made up. Teachers could also assign more than normal amounts of homework the night before a storm hits and put the due date two days later so that even if the school is not canceled the following day, students are not terribly overwhelmed that night.[/i]

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:24 am
All-star
All-star

This year, schools in Watauga county sent kids to school on saturday. Since I grew up here and missed a lot of days because of snow, they would extend the school year. For example, if we were to get out for summer break on May 30, they would extend it until June...fill in the blank, depending on how many days we've missed. Also, they would cut into our easter vacation, which sucked. I guess if I were in that situation where I had to cram my students heads with information, I would go over my material and decide what was the most important stuff to teach and try to get rid of the stuff that's not very important. I don't want to skimp on my material and not give them enough information, but I suppose in that situation, you have to be frugal with your time.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

well, i know that the kids herre are going to school until June 5 this year. they also start around August 8 or 9. We basically have 7 weeks of summer vacation. Since we have missed so much school, the teachers have been sending extra work home for the kids. My son brought home a whole packet of stuff that we are supposed to work on at home. The only thing is, the teacher is not decreasing the regular homework, so this is just too much for a 9 year old.

in my opinion, if a lot of days are missed,the teacher needs to readjust the track and try to make up what they can. not add to the homework.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

completely agree shannon! how are the children suppose to keep up?! also most children have other obligations such as jobs, chores, and family time. I think the teachers should just re-organize there lessons.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You can not just cut some lesson off, and be it. Teacher would need to re-organize thier lesson, such that still all material would be covered, which might mean more homework, because when your teachers take an EOC or EOG they need to be familar with all the questions.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, you can't just cut material out. Unfortunately, we do have to cram things in, and hopefully we will utilize the extra time we are given to teach those missed lessons. I really am not sure what a better option would be...we just need to have our lessons planned out for the year so we can stay on track, and leave days open in case we need to review and or cover materials we might have missed.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with molly. Teachers should just re organize their lesson plans to make up for the snow days. If the lesson was important that day, then you should take out some not important material and really concentrate on teaching it. Students dont retain alot of imformation when they are bombarded with loads of work to do

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I lived in Maine, and we would miss school for snow; we would just have to go longer into the summer. Everything should not just be crammed into a few days of learning because too many kids could get left behind. And valuable material may be neglected without proper time to go over it. I am witnessing these crams up in Avery County where I intern, and I am not a big fan of it. I don't think the teachers are either.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Rebecca mentioned leaving open days when lessons are planned out, and I have to agree that that is a great option. Planning a few days into your own calender where you can get caught up if there is a snow day could also work to the students advantage in a unique way. If the day that is planned comes and goes with out being needed, then the day becomes a day to do a review of stuff that hasn't been touched on recently. This allows material covered in October, and is tested on in May, to be gone over again since most students would not remember the material. This way the students get refreshers here and there to remind them of what they may have forgotten.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah that is a good idea. I didn't read her suggestion before I posted!!! I definitley think teachers should do that!! It sure does beat going longer into the summer!

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]