View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 the whole Christmas issue 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Guys, i just wanted to say that i really had to bite my tongue in class the past two times in regards to the Christmas issue (as well as the Easter issue for that matter but i'll focus on the Christmas issue since it was brought up both days this week). It's nothing personal, i don't remember who said what. But CHRISTmas is a holiday that was originated to celebrate the BIRTH OF CHRIST and i find it repulsive that we were debating how "offensive" it could be to have the CHRISTian lyrics and "what not" in the CHRISTmas plays. i'm not trying to impose or force my religion on anyone but if you or your child is not a CHRISTian, then why in the heck would you celebrate this holiday? it's not for you, don't participate. if you don't want to sing CHRISTIAN songs, don't sing in the CHRISTmas play. it just doesn't seem logical, why would i participate in a holiday play and complain about the messages and content within it if i don't even have reason to celebrate that holiday. now i could understand if the school titled the play something different like "X mas" or "Holiday Play" but CHRISTmas???? it's pretty evident what the holiday is about. you can't just take a holiday and turn into what you want it to be; come up with your own holiday. wheeewwwww...ok i'm off my soap box. i hope i haven't offended anyone and i probaly should have addressed this in class but please give me some feed back on this you guys, please; i'm really discontented with it. :(

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree completely with you Candace. I think the whole issue of people changing Christmas is simply ridiculous. I was telling my group members today how I feel it is so stupid how places like Lowe's and other stores are selling "Holiday trees" and not Christmas trees. It's fine that they don't want to be biased towards any one religion, but that doesn't mean completely pushing Christmas aside. Every other holiday celebrated by other religions has just as much right to be celebrated as Christmas does, but that doesn't mean shoving Christmas out of the picture all together.

I also find the whole Bible issue funny that we talked about the other day as well. The Bible is one of the most historical books ever written, so why not have it in school libraries?? If kids are not Christian and they do not want to read it, then they don't have to. But I still think that it should be available for use nonetheless. If we can use the B.C. and A.D. references to time periods (which refer completely to the birth and death of Christ), then why can't we have Bibles in schools? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree as well that we should not try to pretend that Christmas is something other than what it is, which is the birth of Christ. When I worked at a department store, I was told not to say 'Merry Christmas' to customers because I might offend them if they were Jewish or any other religion. Personally, it made me mad, because I'm not looking to offend anyone, but I would like to be able to express my religious beliefs around the time of Christmas and Easter. Besides, I had someone wish me 'Happy Hanukkah' one time, and I didn't get upset. I just smiled and said 'thanks' because I'm not Jewish, but I wasn't the least bit offended.

When I was in school, all of our Christmas plays/choir/band performances were held after school, so it was optional to participate and/or attend. So it's hard to argue with a school who holds their celebration after school hours.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Candace. If someone wishes to opt out of Christmas holiday activities then they should be able to do that. They can opt out of Halloween activities and that is fine. It should be the same way for Christmas.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you all. However, from a music stand point, I feel that if students are required to sing a Christmas song during the holiday season, then other holidays that are celebrated at that same time of year should be incorporated.

I try to think of it this way. If I went to a school and all they made me sing/perform was Jewish music, I would not feel as connected to the piece because of my Christian background. Therefore, I feel it is important to involve all holidays so everyone feels connected in some way. But I do not believe Christian music should be removed.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You heard me say what I said Candace!!!!!!!! CHRISTmas........it doesn't take a genius to figure out the meaning of the word!!!! :D I am polite and respectful to other religions, and to people with no religion. But I am tired of all the crap people are saying about Christians, and I won't tolerate anymore rudeness! I get so mad when I am generalized! I am open minded and excepting, and I wish everyone else in Boone could be. But that is not the case.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree completely. Each of us has our own religious view and we should be able to express it. If I celebrated Kwanza then I should be able to tell people Happy Kwanza without people getting offended. So why shouldn't Christians be able to say Merry Christmas without people getting huffy about it. We believe is something higher up same as Jewish and Buddist people and yet we're the ones that have to cover up our faith...

Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i completely agree! it is in the standard course of study that we discuss holidays. So i believe that as long as we discuss ALL religions and go at it in a 3rd person form that is totally appropriate. :)

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Matthew. There is no way that you can MAKE someone sing a Christmas song in a class such as Chorus, without also singing songs for other Holidays celebrated at the same time. When I was in high school our chorus had a Holiday concert and sang at least two songs about Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. We might celebrate Christmas but we could at least accept that other people celebrate Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you all. I think the root of the problem here is that people have truly forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. The new name of Christmas should be giftmas because we concentrate solely on what are we going to give to some one or in most cases what are we going to receive instead of the importance of the birth of Christ. Now I am no preacher nor am I prepared to give a sermon on why we should celebrate it the right way but i think that we can trace the problems Candace brought up back to the way Christmas is viewed now. Many religions besides just Christians are now celebrating it and giving gifts and i think thats fine if the true understanding was known behind why we celebrate it. At the same time though i feel if the true meaning was known and in their forefront then many of those same people would find that it isn't for them unless they are converts. Just some thoughts.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's interesting that we all seem to agree that Christmas was originally a christian religion. (I'm about to make someone mad I'm pretty sure.) We do live in a "Christian Nation" these days. I admit that the idea that Christmas being offensive is absurd however I have participated in the holidays and traditions of multiple religions. I've attended Pagan rituals, Christmas Parties, Kwanzaa Celebrations etc. and I'm pretty convinced that we all believe pretty much the same thing. "It's mine and you can't have it." Is a universal belief within all of these cultures to some extent and I think it's sad that Christians are now becoming the most bigoted people on the planet. So much so that I'm not even calling myself a Christian anymore because it represents separation and hatred more than the unconditional love of God and Jesus Christ. So Marry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa and have a nice Ramadan because quite frankly, I think everyone should celebrate every part of life together as a unified humanity instead of a bunch of spiteful, childish religious zealots. So it's fun to be on the in crowd and exclude those who are different than you, just make sure you know that Jesus would never hesitate to love someone even if they don't believe in having a "Marry Christmas." Want to prove you're a real follower of Christ's example? Start unconditionally loving everyone that you know including those who find you offensive. Including those who want to participate in Christmas without converting. All Jews and Gentiles and Muslims and then we'll see who are the real Christians.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So chris, are u saying that Christmas did not originate as a Christian holiday? I believe we can definitely come together and celebrate holidays like independence day because we share a common ground but A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY???? i don't see the point of someone celebrating a religious holiday when they'e not of that religion??? I can understand all races celebrating MLK day and such but not a RELIGIOUS one....sorry man, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

p.s. i do love everybody

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Someone up there made a point about calling it a "Holiday Concert" or celebration or whatever and incorporating multiple views on the holidays in the concert which I think is an excellent way to make everyone feel included and also help teach students tolerance of others.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm saying that Christians seem to have a funny way about bringing people into their religion. If you believe so much in the celebration of something then you will naturally share it with anyone who's willing to participate. That way you may get your "converts" or "saved" ones through a method that doesn't include something like, "do it or go to hell." Wouldn't it be nice if someone became a Christian or continued to be one because they saw it as a loving and compassionate religion that invites all to celebrate in its holidays? Maybe that's too advanced for the Christian religions.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is really ignorant to generalize all Christians. We cannot all be lumped into one group. Yeah there are bigots who happen to be "Christians." But that does not mean that we are all bigots. I happen to know a lot of loving and compassionate Christians. I consider myself to be both loving and compassionate. Some of my best friends are not Christians, and they celebrate Christmas. But at least they are smart enough to know the original meaning of the word Christmas.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ok we seem to be getting away from the original point i was trying to make. Chris, you seem to have some bitterness inside of you about Christians and I'm sorry for whatever experiences you have had to endure that placed those bitter feelings inside of you. However, my original point was that i felt it was ironic we were debating on whether or not Christian songs should be played in Christmas programs. I just felt like we should change the name to HOLIDAY PROGRAM. CHRISTmas is CHRIST'S birthday, end of discussion. (or the end of my point at least)

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think myself and the other music kids said this in class but anyway...You definitely cannot have a "Christmas" concert anymore. It needs to be a "Holiday" concert. It also needs to include not just Christian songs but songs from other religions as well. I would also want to include holiday type songs that don't talk about religion at all, and there are plenty of those. The holidays are about spending time with people you care about and being kind to others (although that should be done all the time). So songs emphasizing those points would be very relevant.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]