View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 So what do we really need? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So all I want to pose to you all right now is that I cant help but think that in all of our class meetings all of us, myself included, have been bashing the current school system and how it is run. So what I am asking now is that if you could create from scratch a new ideal school system set up for not the world but lets just say NC to narrow the plethora of ideas that could be posted , what would it look like? Think of things like structure of classes, hours of operation, days of operation, qualifications of teachers, content taught, no child left behind? haha jk, anything you can think of to create this better schooling system which we talk so much crap about. Lets see if we can create a better environment for learning! I bet we can!

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 am
All-star
All-star

Less emphasis on testing would be my first order of business. All four subjects (math, science, language arts, social studies) would be taught equally. Nowadays, social studies is being taught less and less because it's not on the end of grade test. Also, PE would be everyday, instead of just a few times a week, like most schools are doing now. I went to PE everyday when I was a elementary/middle grades student and I really liked it. I understand the need for other classes, like technology, music, art, ect., but there's actually a seperate class for health education. Is it possible for health education and PE to be taught together?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well, since I'm a Spanish Ed major, I advocate that every student be required to study a second language at least 30 minutes a day from pre-k until high school! Haha. But really--- we are the only major industrialized country in which children do not routinely learn at least one foreign language; this is hurting us as a nation and as individuals in the global marketplace. There have also been many studies that show that children who learn a second language beginning in early childhood demonstrate certain cognitive advantages over children who do not. Makes sense that students who are learning a second language out-score their non-foreign language learning peers in the verbal and math sections of standardized tests.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree that some form of P.E. and health should be taught every day, and I think that sex education should/needs to be reformed.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know about other counties in NC, but PE is taught every day in Watagua County at K-8 schools.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For a while now I've been undecided about whether I think year-round school would be better than just going for a while and having a summer break (which is getting smaller and smaller). I think that teaching a unit or two for 3-4 weeks and then getting a week or two off could really help keep students from getting burnt out. Every so often, their brains would get a break. They could have time to relax in spring, summer, fall and winter. It would also give their brains a chance to rest, but not fall off the map like I know mine did over the summer. I would probably make the hours 10-230 as well, spending an hour in each class and getting 30 minutes for lunch.

I agree that a second language (especially Spanish) is important and I think it should be taught from K-12. I also think P.E. should be taught everyday, every year K-8 and then in high school one year should be required and elective P.E. could be offered for students who wish to continue their physical activity.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Taking P.E. and health every day in elementary and middle school is also a requirement in Wake County, but I think it is just as, if not more important as students get into high school and are bombarded with tough decisions when it comes to sex, drugs, alcohol, and self-image issues.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it would be cool to help students learn more about the subjects they may make careers out of. My high school offered one class that helped prepare me for the career I am going to have.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the our school system, needs better teachers. Teachers that are use interactive tools to engage all students, to be there for all students, and not just teach to the test.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with we need better teachers....AKA us! lol but seriously if i were a principal and i could create a school from scratch i wouldnt bother with looking into buildings for a school first, or the athletics program, or the technology, or any of the above. I would concentrate on scanning the country or the world for that matter for teachers who were energetic, innovative, creative, had a passion for teaching, and i would tell them that of course we have top teach to whatever standards or guidelines that are set up by the county, state and country at the time but to also make sure that they throw in what the kids need to know while making it enjoyable and interesting. As far as the numerous people that have commented so positively about p.e. i would agree that it should be mandatory every day of the week for 1 hour. More importantly than elementary or middle grades is having p.e. mandatory in hs. This is where we students outdoor play time, energy levels, and sports participation start to fall off and obesity/unhealthy behaviors start to sky rocket. I also realize and plan on changing the way that p.e. is viewed as a "roll out the basketball type of ordeal". And yes P.E. and health can coincide and be taught together as one class because one cannot exist without the other in the real world.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree that the first way to a better educational system is BETTER TEACHERS. I think that all teachers need to be highly-qualified and educated in the content areas they are teaching. Through my experiences, especially in high school, I had some teachers who were just put in a subject because there was a shortage of teachers for that department. As a result, they taught the subject horribly and nobody learned anything. I also think that if people are hired who actually WANT to be teachers and make a difference, then their classroom environments are going to be much more enjoyable and the students will actually love learning. I think that all teachers need to be energetic, passionate about what they teach, and caring for all their students in order for schools to be successful.

I also agree with everyone with placing more emphasis on P.E., and the GOOD qualities of it. Too often teachers, coaches, etc. use running a lap or doing push-ups as a form of discipline. This does not help students want to participate in P.E. anymore; it only makes them hate it more! I also think more emphasis needs to be placed on the arts programs, such as music, art, theatre, dance, etc., as those are often just as important as the regular academic subjects like math, english, science, and history.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]