View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 brown eyes vs blue eyes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i really enjoyed todays class and wondered if anyone would teach it in their classroom?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I would consider it. It might be better to teach it to a younger group of students (like the teacher did with the 3rd graders) because we most certainly saw a difference in reaction with the adults and the kids. If someone did this exercise with me now, I know I'd be pretty upset if I was outcast because of my brown eyes. The difference is, however, is that the kids knew what was going on. I think it might work with my 6th graders, because they're still calm enough to take the exercise seriously and not take it too far out of hand, but I would procede with caution when conducting this exercise

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It all depends on your students. I think that you could do this with any grade as long as you know that your students are mature enough to handle it. However, if there is already a lot of racial tension or violence in your school, I wouldn't go anywhere near it...

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it woulddepend on your school district, parents, students, etc. Needs to be done but with caution.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed watching the young students participate in the activity. I am not in the type of classroom that would use this activity (music) however; I think it is a great activity that is productive. It is a concrete way of getting the point across and something that not many people would forget.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think if I taught elementary schools that the video what be very useful to use in class. However, I think that the actual lesson would be pushing the limits of what we are allowed to do.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would like to applaud the teacher for her courage to teach the discrimination lesson this way. I could just hear the young students going home to their parents and crying because of some of the things she said and I'm not entirely sure that I would want to deal with that if I were her. I think this exercise is crucial in getting students to really get a good understanding of discrimination but I'm going to be honest and say, as cowardly as it may seem, that I don't know if I would be brave enough to try it myself.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with some of you. I would be very cautious to do this experiment in a class. And it would depend on a lot of circumstances. However, I do feel if you wanted to get across the same message, then you could show the video without actually conducting the experiment.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think I would definitely want to do it, but depending on where you taught, not because it would be controversial, but depending on the diversity of your classroom. Most classrooms now have at least one child from a different ethnicity. I think it would be difficult to do this in a classroom with anything but white children. If you had a very diverse classroom, how would you be able to do this exercise if you could?

Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I actually think it would be a good lesson to teach in class if done properly. I honestly would not do it in my classroom but I respect anyone who takes on the challange.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah I would do something like this in my classroom. My third grade teacher did this with our class. It definitely taught us a little something.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There's enough separation and racism in the world for us to observe without having to create another venue for children to associate themselves as better or less than one another. So I would teach the lesson using real issues.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the more diverse classrooms could benefit from this exercise the most! But it would defnitely be harder to pull this off effectively without upsetting the students. Showing the video or discussing the issues would certainly be easier, but the exercise is a good way of putting the students in someone else's shoes.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that is a great idea but I personally would not do this lesson. I can find ways of understanding discrimination through plays and monologues. It has the same premise, putting yourself in the roles of these men and women.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely think doing the exercise but changing it to the men vs. women role would be awesome. This exercise whether men vs women or about race would be awesome in the classroom I just don't know if there would be time but honestly even if one took about 30 minutes and just carried about the day as normal, it could work very well. Maybe the students could even write a paper about it.

I was just so amzed to see how the experiment really did effect the students.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]