View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hoffmann's The Story of the Inky Boys 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since we were talking about teaching children how to be racially tolerant, I've decided to share a children's story with you. My dad use to read (and translate) the original German version of Heinrich Hoffmann's Der Struwwelpeter to me when I was a child. Der Struwwelpeter is a children's book that shows naughty little girls and boys the consequences for not behaving nicely and obediently.

This poem is called The Story of the Inky Boys. If you click on the URL link, you can read the two different versions of the poem (The original German text is in the left column, and the English translation is in the right column.). The URL is http://www.fln.vcu.edu/struwwel/bub_dual.html
This story teaches children the consequences for making fun of a person of a different color. Enjoy! After you read it, I would like to hear some feedback or a reaction to the story.

Personally, even though I am a high school teacher, I would recommend this poem for elementary school teachers and middle school teachers. Of course, I also recommend that you get parents' permission to read this story because the illustrations might scare some of the children.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this poem---the images may be a little iffy, but I think the story would be just as effective without them.

Thanks for sharing!

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Interesting poem. I liked the it, and would consider teaching it to my middle schoolers. I wouldn't use the pictures either, but the poem makes a good point.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]