View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Physical Education? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Brandon, the other day in class you briefly discussed the new sophisticated approach to teaching PE (i.e., having student try-outs). Unfortunately, you did not have time to fully explain and I'm sincerely curious how this works. Could you or any of the others explain? Also, do you like this approach and do you think it transform the pejoritive view of PE teachers?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

*do you think it will transform

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey Elliot so sorry for the long delay before this repsonse lol. Been crazy busy but yes i truely believe the face of P.E. is going to change in the very near future and that it is even now changing. I believe i covered most of your question while i was in class after this post but to just touch on a couple of small points just in case any body else is viewing i will bring up some stuff. Due to sky rocketing childhood obesity P.E. is being cracked down on as of recently and is being looked upon as the hope for our physical future. The days of the old ball coach rolling out basketballs are over, and thank god, because its giving me a headache having to defend my profession over and over with the rest of the university whenever i say what im majoring in lol. The program we are being taught is called PASE but their are others this is just the one we use. PASE gives kids a chance to learn and participate in sport like activity and team based lessons. There are 4 students and 4 teams. Each team has a student which is the coach of their team and they stay the coach for the whole season, however long that may be. The rest of the students depending on how many you have rotate between a number of roles such as; Statistition, stretch leader, manager, team publicist etc. Like i said the number of roles can be changed and new ones can be made depending on what your teaching. The students grades depend on the roles all being performed correctly and enthusiastically on a daily basis. Of course quizzes on lesson content, application contest on lesson skills, and attendance all play a factor in the grade book. To sum it all up the teams are created by holding a skills pre-combine which evaluates all students and categorizes them into skill levels, which the teacher may only know. This helps in the selection process of coaches and teams. Then at the end of the season their is a post-combine to track improvement. Also during the season their is a program being administered to the students through the teachers aid which is called the fitness gram software. All that this does is evaluate the children's health level's through various fitness test which have been created to individualize testing and help the students to goal set. I know its alot and my grammar is horrible but hopefully that helps you. If you have any other questions i can bring the manual on all of this with me before school is up.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow! Thanks for the information. Doesn't seem like PE is as unsophisticated as many people believe.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is about time that schools began to actually teach physical health to students and how to correctly be physically active instead of simply rolling out the basketballs and telling the students to play.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]