View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Sex vs. Gender 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sex vs. Gender

“Sexâ€

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess it would effect us if something came up in our classrooms questioning "gender". For example, if you are a kindergarten teacher, is it okay to let the boys play with the dolls? Or dress up?

And if you are in high school, is it okay that the girl wants to play football or wrestle? These issues could come up in classroom through students talking and it could be our job to explain the difference. And just because you are a girl, doesn't mean you can't play football.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sex and gender are two different things, like you said. It is our jobs as teachers to understand, and help the students understand, that it is okay for a person to fulfill gender roles of the opposite sex. It is becoming more widely accepted for boys to play with dolls or for girls to want to play football.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Dustin, I'm not arguing with you, but I'm honestly curious. Why do you think it is a good idea for the gender lines and roles to become more ambiguous?

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It affects our students. That's why we should be aware of the differences in gender as it relates to physical sex. Otherwise when we have certain issues come up socially within our classroom we might be equipped to handle it.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Dustin! It bothers me when parents don't allow boys and girls to play with certain toys and participate in certain childish games at school. Maybe by allowing a boy to play with a baby doll, he will grow up to be a loving, caring, and nurturing father! Maybe by allowing a girl to play with a tool set, she will become an artist or a designer! The problem with dress up is that parents picture boys in pink tutus and waving around fairy wands. When, in fact, there is such a thing as boy dress up clothes!
Check out this website: http://www.babyscholars.com/boycoboydrup.html
By allowing children to experiment and play pretend, you are allowing them to expand their minds and imaginations. They ARE learning! I believe that people are too into taboo!

Personally, when my siblings and I use to play house, I was always the "father." I did not want to be a "father" when I grew up, but I knew at the time that I was just "pretending" to be a "father." And, even though my sister would play the "mother," my parents would have no problem having two girls play "father" and "mother." My younger brothers would end up being the "children," or one of them would be the "family pet." It just makes me mad because I think parents read too much into simple child's play. And if one's son or daughter was homosexual or born with two heads, I would hope that one would love and accept him or her nevertheless!

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To not put our students into these stereotypes and to not press these roles further into their minds. That's the basic concept of it all

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You guys, please don't judge me or fuss at me because i'm going to be really honest: I am very conservative and I was brought up in a conservative home. This situation is going to be one of my greatest obstacles in becoming an effective teacher. I will probaly have some hard lessons to learn regarding topics such as these. I'm not sexist and the whole girls wanting to wrestle and such is totally cool but there are so many types of sexualities now....straight, metro, gay, bi, etc......whatever....I just really feel like these issues will be challenging for me to be open-minded to. I will never mistreat a student due to any of these "labels" but I'm sure I'll be getting myself into sticky situations regarding TEACHING and ANSWERING QUESTIONS about these issues.

Sorry to get way off subject......haha.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Candace, I feel the same way some times. I grew up in a very conservative area as well, and I am scared of the way I may react to the different type of students I have. I will say that being here at App has helped me with interacting with different kinds of people. I may not necessarily agree with what they believe, hold true, what have you, but I have learned how to accept that we are different. I honestly believe that the more you interact with someone who challenges what you believe, the more you begin to see that yes there may be differences but they are a person who deserves to be treated with respect. You may feel that you were off topic but in a way you weren't. Your students possibly questioning their gender is an issue that you will have to deal with in your classroom. You may be afraid of how you will handle the situation. My best advice is to consult older teachers. Teachers who have been there a few years have probably handled the same situation and can give you some guidence. Also, if a student is having issue with what they feel is their gender or dealing with where they belong, talk to the guidence counselors. They can put in you the right direction, as well as help the student.

Just my two cents on the topic.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

thank you so much tony. (for not judging or bashing me as well as for the advice u offered) i will take ur advice!!

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A classmate of mine in Block I for Middle Grades Education did a presentation on transgendered students today and he discussed three continua related to sex/gender:
Biological sex: Male at one end, Female at the other, Intersexed in the middle, with the idea that you can be born with either set of genitalia or some combination of both.
Gender identity: Masculine at one end, Feminine at the other, whole range in between. He included negative labels like "sissy" for boys and "tomboy" for girls. This is where gender roles come in.
Sexual preference: Homosexual at one end, Heterosexual at the other, with Bisexual in between. Again the idea that you can be anywhere on the spectrum, maybe mostly preferring your same sex, maybe mostly preferring the other. Outside that was also Asexuality, not being attracted to anyone.
The other thing in his presentation I found interesting was the concept of fludity--that your place on these continua can change over time. Obviously your biological sex can be changed through surgery and hormones; your concept of your gender may change, you may take on different roles during your life; and even your preferences may change over time.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]