View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Diversity 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since we are missing class tomorrow because of the Diversity Celebration I want to talk about Diversity in the classroom. That is a really big issue right now and I was wondering how everyone plans on incorporating certain diversity issues into their classrooms.

I am going to be a math teacher and the main way to incorporate racial diversity in my class is to make sure I include all of the races in my word problems and homework questions, etc.

What are other ways that we can incorporate Diversity? Not just in my math class, but in your classes, as well.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah that is a great point. I'm going to be a history (high school) teacher so my classroom may be more conducive to dealing with diversity. My plan is to incorporate diversity into my lesson plans because it is easy to do with cultures in history.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will be teaching English, so diversity will be an easy thing to incorporate into my class. I can have materials for my students to read that are about other cultures or even have students read material by an author from that culture. Other than just reading fiction books about diversity, I can also have them read nonfiction. Or even read articles in the newspapers about diversity around where they live. I think it's great to read diverse things because it opens up a whole new door to the things students can get interested in.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will be teaching English, Secondary Education. I hope to teach World Literature (10th grade) because it is the most diverse literature to teach. However, I've noticed that usually most of the literature does not represent the "world" well. The only German literature I read in high school was about the Holocaust (which is an important historical event), but we never really read about Germany otherwise. South Americans--who are they? I feel that World Literature is not nearly as diverse as it should be. If my school allows me, I would like to have my students read a text that represents a wide variety of authors and genres. Even if I don't have room in my actual curriculum, I would have students take 5-10 minutes before class to read a book (not covered in class) that is "world" literature.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will be teaching Spanish, so diversity is pretty much my main topic!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Diversity with music is easy and fun. We could have an African music week, where we focus on African drumming and rhythms. We could even start an African drumming ensemble at our middle or high school. In my experience, students love being able to get out some aggression on a drum.

There are as many different kinds of music as there are different cultures, so music teachers can really go crazy with this, the only issue is to stick to the curriculum while incorporating all this diversity.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being an elementary teacher, I feel that I have a rather broad spectrum of incorporating diversity into my classroom. For one thing, I will definitely read my students books from other countries and that deal with different races and ethnicities. I also plan on having a lot of music in my classroom, so playing music from all different artists and countries would also help to open the kids' eyes to diversity. I definitely agree with the math problems idea already mentioned as well, where I would put people of different cultures into the problems to make them more of a "story."

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]