View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Obesity in young adolescents 
All-star
All-star

We didn't get to talk much about this yesturday, and maybe this is a good topic for the health education teachers, but we didn't get to talk about the other end of the health spectrum that's affecting our youth, and that's obesity. It's becoming more and more common today for kids to be overweight, and with the extra weight comes heart problems, breathing problems, bone problems, and diabetes. Being overweight is just as dangerous as being underweight, so I think we need to address both issues, not just one. But then again, this is more of an issue for parents, but do you think there's anything we can do as teachers to help these obese kids become healthy?

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that in my Health Education for elementary teachers we are learning about using these things called energizers. There are several games you can play with your students that involve them getting up and moving that also involve learning. For example, one energizer is that you have the students act out different actions while "traveling" around north carolina. "Ok now class we are walking up the stairs to the top of the Currituck lighthouse. Who can tell me something interesting about the lighthouse?" So the students get to walk in place while learning something about the lighthouse. There are several of these energizers that can be used from day to day and even if that is the only exercise they get it is better than nothing.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Those are really good ideas! But isn't it sad we have to disguise exercising? I mean, please don't get me wrong I think it's excellent ideas and I might try and use some for a YMCA Summer Camp I work at. This is just an issue that is so sad to me. I sub in my town whenever I can, and when I sub in a P.E class it's sad to me. Students want to sit out and not participate...and these are usually the ones that are overweight. We should teach so much more than exercising (and I know they do) but just how can we get through to the students that it is not about being skinny, but about being healthy?? Epically before it's too late and they end up with diabetes or heart conditions!

Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Gosh guys these are all awesome questions for me to try to answer i love it. I see the answer to all of your questions as a very easy one. We have to change the way that we teach P.E. and Health Ed. right now they are both seen as a joke and yes kids try their hardest not to participate if they arent the jocks who like it because their coach is the p.e. teacher. How do we change this? Its simple yet hard lol We have to teach to the students and stop teaching to what we think we know. We need to integrate much more technology into our lessons like DDR! and Wii now i know these are expensive devices but you can create your own lessons off of these concepts such as using a projector to display a youtube video of a dance dance revolution song, lay out poly spots or tape the floor and dance! Go to "p e imovie @ youtube.com for an anticipatory set for such a lesson as the one explained. At the end of the day you have to make it fun for the kids and reach them "ALL OF THEM" no matter what the means to get them involved.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think a lot of it comes down to the parents. If a kid is allowed to play video games and watch TV for 5 hours a day, how is that kid NOT going to become obese! For P.E. teachers this is extremely relevant. I think our P.E. majors would agree that they need use a variety of games to find something for everyone. Also, they have told us about their methods of picking teams so certain students who may feel bad at a particular activity do not feel left out.

The energizing learning activities in other classes seem like a cool idea. Although, walking in place for 5-10 minutes isn't going to take any inches off your waistline, but it may get them in the mood to play outside after school instead of playing video games. I guess you could encourage to take breaks from school work to play outside. As a music teacher, I won't tell kids to practice for hours a day because I know that would take time that they could be exercising. We can also encourage any kid who comments about doing an activity involving exercise.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree that a lot of obesity in children come from their parents. As teachers, I think it is extremely important that we promote exercise and physical fitness not only in our classrooms, but to parents as well. We don't have to be P.E. teachers to give our students physical homework as well. For example, I (being an elementary teacher) could give my students math problems that require them to go outside and measure objects or distances between objects. I could also have them measure time and distance by running certain distances and having them use a stopwatch to time themselves.

Another big problem is the fact that exercise is often times used as a punishment for children, and therefore it makes them not want to participate at all. Running laps or doing push-ups should be treated in a positive way, rather than making the kids feel like they are exercising because they got in trouble.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Erin, that is so true. I feel like if exercise wasn't used as punishment, it wouldn't be such a foreign thing to children. I don't know if it would work but I would think that it could be more of a reward. I don't know but I hope I can incorporate things like this into my classroom.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Okay, I can say that I absolutely detest working out in the way I feel most people think about it. I hate running on a treadmill or spending time on the elliptical and I don't like lifting weights. I can't make myself do pilates or yoga. I've discovered that just because someone tells you to run because it'll make you healthy doesn't mean you'll really like it and if you don't like your exercises, you won't do them. So like it was mentioned on earlier posts, I feel that incorporating different ways to get the same results is a great way to motivate everyone and show them that working out can be fun.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]