View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Religion and LGBTs 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a christian I believe that homosexuality is a sin, just as lying, disrespecting your mother/father, or any other sin. However there is not one of us that is not guilty of committing a sin, in my belief.

I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, however LGBTs should have the same rights in a communion.

I personally feel that that a LGBT can be religious (Christian).

What are your thoughts?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I grew up in an Episcopal church, and as you may remember, there was a lot of media hype a few years back when a few of the episcopal bishops were found to be gay. There were no cases of inappropriote behavior from the homosexual bishops (that I recall, anyway) but I believe that some of the bishops were dismissed from their position. However, these people were good people and devoted their lives to God. So I can say from being raised Episcopalian that homosexuals can be religious. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean they should be ex-communicated from a church. Because let's face it, heterosexuals aren't free of sin either. There are plenty of things that heterosexual couples are guilty of, like having children out of wedlock and things like that.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally am a Christian, a little liberal one at that, but I still consider myself one and I don't believe homosexuality is a sin. I can't believe in a God that would punish someone for what he himself made. I believe a gay man can't help being attracted to other men, just like a straight man can't help being attracted to women.

Yes the Bible does say that a man should not lie with another man. Yes I know that there are four verses in the whole Bible that say that, but I feel like we lose all of our reasoning skills when we consider this topic. The two verses in the New Testament are letters written to particular churches by individual people with individual beliefs dictated by the society they lived in. The old testament is written from a cultural bias as well. And why is it so hard to accept the concept that the Bible is affected by the hands of those who have written it, passed it down, and translated it throughout the years.

I feel it is more important to listen to the words of Jesus Christ when he said the greatest commandment is to love the Lord and to love others. How easily we forget these words. He basically is saying if we can do anything in our lives love Him and love the people he so lovingly created. He doesn't say judge these people, or only love them if... And besides who are we to judge? So yes a gay person or LGBT person can be faithful (I hate the word religious) because he or she was so beautifully made the way they were in God's image and He does love them.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I argee with you, Kayla, when you said we should listen to the important words of Jesus Christ.

However, I believe that homosexuality is a sin (adbomination), but as a Chirstian I believe that we (all of us) can be free of these sins if we put our faith in Jesus Christ. But I also believe cultural bias or not that God said that homosexuality is a sin. As we are all gulity of sin, as Christians we need ask Jesus to forgive us.

Thus is the reason I feel LGBT can be religious (faithful).

Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yeah dustin, im with u on this one man. i researched homosexuality for a teacher earlier in the semester and there are multiple verses in both the old and new testaments that speak about this issue. The Bible clearly states that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God. Yes, human vessels wrote the Bible, but the words were God-breathed....God wouldn't have allowed HIs Living Word to be tampered with against HIs Will. People get so mad at me when i say something like "homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God" but i didn't write the Bible....

As i have made very clear, im still really confused about the perplexity of all the sexuality stuff, gender, orientations..etc etc but hamaphrodites is the most difficult thing for me to wrap my mind around...i just ponder why..and blah blah.

God says to hate what He hates....so i love the people but i do hate the sin.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not a religious person, I was once in a past life... But like Kayla I don't see how someone could condemn someone to the "worst place"... I just don't think that if god is supposed to be a "fair and loving" god that that could be possible.

I do not think that homosexuality is a sin. It is a way of life. Just because someone chooses to have a different lifestyle that the church deems wrong doesn't mean that a person is a sinner and should go to hell.... But this is all my opinion. We are entitled to our own.

I commend those who are homosexual and are brave enough to live that life. I would think that our society would be more accepting, but only time will tell....

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]