View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Diversity issues in Football? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I saw this article and it caught my attention. It is about the NY Jets football team being upset about their schedule because two of the games fall on Jewish holidays. Here is the link: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9464642/Jets-upset-about-home-games-on-Jewish-holidays/?gt1=39002

I found this kind of surprising that a national football team is willing to stand out and say that they have issues because of their fans' possible religious beliefs. I may not practice the Jewish faith, but I do realize that the two days in question are very important days in the Jewish faith. It is great of them to try and be mindful of all their fans and not just the majorities.

What are your opinions on a NFL team trying to be more accepting and making it to where more of their fans can attend the games by trying to get the times moved?

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 am
All-star
All-star

I think it's cool that they're working their schedules around holidays that aren't just Christian. I don't know much about Jewish hoildays or their faith, but I think it's great that the NFL is making their games available to ALL people, regardless of religion. So many times do large organizations like the NFL cater to Christian holidays, so why not add the Jewish holidays? I think it's fair.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That makes perfect sense to me. If you think about how many games/events that are canceled because they are Christian holidays, there should be other religious holidays that need to be accounted for. I am of course talking about major holidays, if we can't canceled events for every holiday we would have very few game times available.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that football games and any other sports should consider certain holidays as "off". It is not fair to other religions if only the christians get off. There are enough days throughout the year to where we can accomodate around the different holidays for different religions.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what has been said thus far. It is surprising to me as well that a NFL team is taking into consideration different religions and the people/fans that practice the Jewish faith. I am glad that they have decided to take it into consideration. It seems that not many people take think about people of a different religion and how it affects the world around them. A lot of people tend to be selfish...

Props to the Jets!

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm all about having off of work for religious holidays. But I find it hilarious that an NFL team would raise this argument. The majority of religions hold services and celebrate their faith on Sunday right? Well lets see....NFL games are on Sunday! So if a Jewish or any religious holiday falls on a Sunday there's a pretty good chance your going to be playing football on that day. I think the players/coaches realized this going in, but all of sudden it's a problem? Too funny. :)

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with you Peter and everything else that has been said! And aren't there football games on Christmas Day as well? Well, obviously that is the biggest holiday of the year and sports organizations still insist on putting games on TV on that day. I think it is great that this team is raising this argument in consideration of their fans, but I can't deny that I am kinda surprised about it...it is definitely not something I have heard of happening a lot!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]