View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What causes a person to be transgendered? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just wanted to see what everyone thought on this. What, in your opinion, causes a person to feel that they were born in the wrong body? Is it a psychological issue? Is it dependent one's sexual orientation?

What does everyone think about it?

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that it is psychological. Not an issue, but just how they feel. I don’t think it is a sexual orientation thing because there are cases where the transition occurs and then the person is looked at as heterosexual. When before the transition they would have been looked at as homosexual.

It seems so intense and in depth that it is hard for people who do not have to deal with it to understand. I feel that is what makes it so easy for us to judge them.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Matt and that it is more of a psychological thing. I don't think that a person would just randomly choose to be transgender. It is not an easy path for a person to take. They will be "judged" and looked at differently based on their decision to be transgender. I can see no reason to have to go through the scrutiny that is associated with it if they did not feel strongly about the decision that they are making.

I don't think that one who is not transgender is able to understand why a person chooses to be. It is something that not a large majority of the population has to deal with. Matt says that it is easy for us to judge those that make the "choice" to be transgender. I think that it is something that one could not help, especially if it makes someone feel more complete and happy.

The only way to really know how it feels and the reason behind it is to be a transgender person and insight can be gained from talking to someone about it who is experiencing it and/or gone through it.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If you remember the article Gayle read on our first discussion day on transgender...It said that some people are born with X and Y chromosomes but have female reproductive organs, or vice versa. This could cause the feeling of being stuck in the wrong body.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I remember people in the video talking about how these transgender people felt when they were young and didn't know why they didn't look like their brother or sister. Honestly, I have a brother, and I didn't notice a difference between us. I mean, we didn't see each other naked as I can recall, but I knew we were different because of the way we acted and dressed. However, I am satisfied with what I have. I know not all people are, but I agree that it is a psychological thing. They don't feel comfortable in their skin and want to look how they feel.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]