View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Do Schools Kill Creativity? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey guys,

If you have time you might want to watch this video. I'm curious to hear what you think. Do schools kill creativity?

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_ ... ivity.html

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Also, it is long (almost 20:00 minutes), but I promise it is worth viewing.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think it is the school that kills creativity. Yes school systems do not help the fact that they put a stronger emphasis on mathematics and languages, but that is not the reason that society loses its creativity that, if you remember your childhood, every child has in one way or another. Most kids like to color or make paper airplanes or draw or sing or play an instrument. It is not until parents put their children in school and get up set that they are doing better in their music or arts classes than in the "core classes." We measures success in how well we do in the industrial world and in that world there is no room or time for creativity. Luckily for me, my parents were very supportive an anything I wanted to do. I came to school to go in to pharmacy, because science is a major that measures success, but I realized that I was not happy, so I switched to music. I am also a music composition major, and I really enjoy it. To hear music that I created live and to have others enjoy it is the greatest feeling in the world. I don't know how it was in your school, but in mine most of the students that were in the top of their class participated in band. That goes to show that students that still have that sense of creativity do better than most.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Elliot, I really enjoyed watching the video on creativity. I agreed with Sir Ken Robinson about how we live in an academic world where math and science dominate. I also agreed with him when he said that children should be required to take dance or an art, because taking dance is just as important as taking math.

When Robinson made a comment about how young adults are stigmatized, I completely agreed with him. During my internship this semester, I saw with my own two eyes how badly students struggle with creativity. In the English class that I was observing, the 9th graders had more trouble creating their own ending to Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, then filling out a worksheet about the real ending to Romeo & Juliet. When I would help assist the students in their writing endeavors, I noticed that many students were afraid about being "wrong." I tried to explain to them that you cannot be wrong when creating your own story, as long as you understand the characters and the relationships they share. Overall, I was not surprised at their inability to produce their own creative piece, I was more disappointed. However, I do not blame them--I blame our society. I feel that it is highly necessary to incorporate creativity into a subject's curriculum (and I am not only talking about English).

Thanks, again, for posting the video! I enjoyed watching it!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]