View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Obama and Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey guys, I came across this article when reading the NYTIMES online. It's pretty interesting regarding President Obama's stance on NCLB, funding, and teacher accountability. My opinion is that though it's good to have funding behind the bill, the problem remains that NCLB takes all the creativity out of teaching and actually inhibits the curriculum and holds students back. But that's just my opinion tell me what you think here is the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/educa ... =education
:-)

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not a huge fan of NCLB, I think that it puts too much emphasis on standardized tests. I think that it is good that the budget is being reviewed and looked at. Even here at ASU, budget cuts are taking effect! I agree that there is so much cut out of the possibilities of creativity for teachers with such a rigorous and structured curriculum.

Hopefully the changes will be good and less stress on the teacher. I do agree that it is good for the teachers to be reviewed and made sure to be a good and effective teacher.

I guess we won't really know the ramifications of NCLB until we are teachers in a classroom.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A quote from the article, "Obama’s fundamental strategy is the same as George Bush’s: standardized tests, numbers-crunching; it’s the N.C.L.B. approach with lots of money attached." Doesn't sound too great to me, but at least more money is being put into education. It also said there will be more emphasis on bringing lower scoring schools up to standard, which is a good thing.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Kayla, I'm not a big fan of the NCLB and it's methods on teaching and evaluating students. The money is always a good thing yes, but I would like to see a more understanding plan of action. Expecting all students and teachers across the nation to be the "same" and on an equal level is something I think will not happen in our lifetime. We are all different and we all have different ways of learning, not all students can effectively take and pass standardize tests, which is the basic measurement of NCLB. I think it is important for us as teachers to make our voices heard and let the government know what we would like to see in an education plan.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]