View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 What have you learned? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a really broad topic but what have you felt that you have learned this semester in class?

To start, I have learned a lot about many topics. The thing that stick out the most though is that I have learned a little about myself. I realized that I am more open minded then I had thought I was. Also, I have learned about how to handle certain situations that I could possibly face. Being able to have an open dialogue is a great way to truly realize what you hold true and believe. This is just some of the things that I have learned this semester in the class.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For me, this class has helped me to explore different tactics of how to address situations that may arise within my classes. Because of the simulations that we did in class, it will be easier to handle situations as they arise in the real world.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This semester I can honestly say that with all the discussions, I have become more aware of what to expect and how to handle certain situations as well. I have really enjoyed listening to others views and experiences. I pride myself in being able to put myself in another's shoes to be able to see their view of things before coming to a conclusion for myself. I may not agree with everything that has been said by some in the class or even Dr. Turner, but I respect the opinion and learn from what is said. By really understanding someone with an opinion that differs from yours you will be able to defend and deliver your views more clearly if you understand how others can feel about a situation. This class has helped me put a stronger definition on my beliefs and has even helped changed some those. I will be able to take away many new ideas from this class and put them towards not only my classroom but also life.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I honestly think that I have learned more about my teaching style. Not only from this class, but also from other classes I have learned a what to do, what not to do, what to try to avoid, etc.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This class, hands down, has been the most beneficial of ALL my education courses. Instead of bogging us down with menial, boring work Dr. Turner's readings were engaging and insightful. Furthermore, the class structure (e.g., seminar) taught me how to converse with others even though their opinion differed (something I'm sure I'll encounter as a teacher). But all-in-all what I learned can be simplified to this - Respect everyone including your students and take and interest in who they are (their background, SES, race, ethnicity, sexuality and gender) and you will be truly a genuine teacher.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have learned alot about how truly open-minded teachers need to be. I have learned to sit back and listen, to gather my thoughts before I speak, and to take nothing personal!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Elliot, I completely agree with what you said about this class. I also feel that this style of class has been a very positive experience for me. Dr. Turner thought of us as adults and treated us as adults. Treating each other as equals is something that Dr. Turner instilled in us and I think that is priceless idea for everyone to heed. I love that we got to learn from one another, with the help and prompts of Dr. Turner, it is important to learn from your peers and this was a class where it would have been impossible not to.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've learned about some issues that are probably going to come up that I never had considered before and I learned ways to address each of these. I also have found myself respecting where others are coming from more. I know that I always tended to have my opinion and didn't really care what others thought of it but I realize that it is important to listen to other sides of the discussion as well.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've learned how to be understanding about other peoples views and kinda how to handle different situations. This class is great about helping us learn about different people, even if you don't find all the answers here then at least it helps us think about some of these issues before we are put in a live situation and asked to handle it.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]