View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Success of a Student and Involvment in the Arts 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In Middle and High School, for me, most of the students that were in the top of their class were involved in band or chorus. Is this because band or chorus requires a deeper or smarter level of thinking? Is it because those students can concentrate better because they have an outlet to get them away from the rigors of the "core" classes? Or is it because students that maintain a level of creativity are capable of thinking for themselves and are not constantly strained with the "by the book" way of thinking?

I am curious if any of you were involved in the arts and feel like you owe that arts class for helping you maintain your sanity in school. Do you think being in an arts class is beneficial even for students that do not have in interest in it or should those students only focus on what they will use in life (keep in mind that most of us will never have to recall things from our advanced calculus class we were forced to take in high school).

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the arts help people to think in a different way and this in turn helps students think in general. What I believe it is, may not be, but for me was the many different ways of learning styles and content. If done right art can spark the imagination which should make learning a better experience and the student should learn more information and in a better way. With that students can carry over what they learn and apply it to the other content areas.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was involved in art and dance during highschool and I think that it helped but not because it gave my an outlet. In fact, my art teacher was terrible. I think that it helped because it had me so involved. I think the more a student is involved in school the better they do. When they are involved they have less time to act up and misbehave so they tend to excel in their school work. At least that is how it was for me.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]