View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Video Games - Random 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So, as I sit here studying, or attempting to, the boys play XBOX. I know this has nothing to do with what we have talked about in class but, I just don't know what to make of them. In regards to children of course, not college students. My boyfriend always make good cases in favor of them but I still don't know. I don't see any harm in playing them but I think it should be in moderation.

This is, of course, from a girls perspective who never got into video games. But are they all that bad? Or at all? (for kids to play)

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that playing video games is not harmful as long as it is done in moderation. However, when a child's time in front of the television outweighs their time spent exercising and doing homework is when it starts to become a problem. I also think that the type of games that the children are playing is an important factor. There are a lot of inappropriate games out there that are based on plots of violence and aggression. These games desensitize us to violence and can have devastating effects when used by a mentally unstable person. I think these games can also cause an increase in a child's aggression. Children's brains are not fully developed, and the content of these games will have a greater effect on them than on an adult.
Aside from that, there are also a lot of great, mind-stimulating games as well as games that incorporate physical activity (such as the
Wii). These games can certainly be beneficial to a child's well being.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:17 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Emily, from a guy's perspective they are probably a bad thing - depending. Like G.I. Joes, guys need to grow out of video games after a certain age. While there are some that believe they improve hand and eye coordination, they also improve procrastination. Games can be a great release, but they are extremely addictive. Just my take though.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that if someone is really bored with nothing to do and it's raining out and you have friends over then sure, video games are fine. However, they really should be taken in moderation and like Elliot said, they need to grow out of them at some time because there is always something better to do or something that needs to be done.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]