View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Gender Identity and Genetics 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This was a question I had wanted to ask Liam last week but we ran out of time, so I"ll ask you guys. I was wondering, since both Liam and his sister are queer (I hope I used that right) do you think gender identity has something to do with genetics or no? I really have no stance on this because I haven't thought about it too much, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:17 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I probably am the wrong person to answer because I have no idea either, but I wouldnt think it has anything to do with genetics. I know a few people who are gay/lesbian and their other siblings are not. I may be wrong but thats what I presume..

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah, I am actually curious about this one as well. I've always been told that one is queer due to genetics but I have never seen any formal study. Does anyone know? Or can they link me to a site about it?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There is evidence to support the idea that homosexuality is usually a trait an individual has from birth, not from their experiences, with feelings of same-sex attractions occurring as soon as adolescence begins, and sometimes before.
Heritability and the pattern it follows through families has been much more difficult to trace because of people staying "in the closet" or choosing to conform to societal norms rather than expressing their true sexual identity.
You can find the latest research online; a couple of recent articles to get you started are:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/17/opinion/17pinker.html
http://www.physorg.com/news84720662.html
http://www.livescience.com/health/08061 ... ality.html

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a friend who is queer and I asked him awhile ago if he had always known that he was gay. He told me that he could remember being 5 years old and knew that he didn't like girls/felt different.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it has something to do with genes, because as someone said, they didn't choose that path. They just knew they were different but didn't know how. And like Brandon said in class why would you choose to be gay and deal with all of the criticism that people give you.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]