View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 required arts education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Senate Bill 66: An act requiring one credit in arts education for high
school graduation. On February 4, 2009, Senate Bill 66 was filed. It was
referred to the Committee on Education/Higher Education on February 5, 2009.
On March 25, 2009, the bill was heard, and on April 8, 2009, the Senate
Committee on Education/Higher Education approved the bill with the following
revisions: 1) a work group on arts education including representatives from
the Department of Public Instruction and the Department of Cultural
Resources will be formed to study, plan, and recommend implementation models
for the requirement; 2) the bill would be required for graduation for
students entering the ninth grade in 2011.

Arts in education is very important for me, not because of job security but the fact that having students be required an art rather than having it is an elective teaches them beyond that three R format we so desperately cling to. What do you all think about having art a requirement rather than an elective?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am unsure about the art requirement rather than elective. I enjoy art and everything about it and I hope I am not offending anyone but I dont have an artistic bone in my body. I dont know if its fair to require assignments be completed when most students dont know how to draw and do anything artisitc. But then again, they will learn. So I really dont know how I feel about having the class for a requirement.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I love this idea! It will help support all of the arts by making them more aware/accessible to students, administrators, and government officials. By creating the need for students to take any of the arts for their graduation it will bring a renewed interest and in turn support for the arts. I understand your point Jennifer that you enjoy art but are not a great artist yourself, but that is the great thing about it. If we as teachers know and use that effectively then we will help you to enjoy art more rather than "making" art. Knowledge is key to our success, by having all high school students take an art of some kind we all will be more knowledgeable and when the time comes for cuts in budget hopefully we will all remember how much we learned and had fun in our "arts" class and will vote/support keeping them for our future students. Thats all depending if teachers actually teach rather than grade, which is often the case. I hope what I've said has helped you realize that its more about knowing than doing and in a non-core class such as any art we need all the support we can get.

Last edited by Patrick Watkins on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with my fellow music major. I need a job... but besides that I strongly believe that every student should have the opportunity to experience an art. I had a friend that his parents would not let him be in band when we started in 6th grade because they wanted him to play football when he got to high school. He was in the choirs we were in at church, so I know that he was semi-musical, but this bill, once it becomes more public will maybe force parents to not be so close minded to the arts if they knew that their child will have to participate in them before they leave high school.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I love art and it is a large part of my life however, I really think that it should be an elective. Like Jen said, some people don't have that artistic bone and would probably resent having to take that class and because of that resentment they would probably end up causing trouble in the class and then taking up the time of those that really want to be there.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just because they don't have the artistic bone doesn't mean it should not be taught. I'm terrible at math but I learn it. Also, you are thinking of the product rather than the process and that's what art is mean to be. Final products in art should not be placed as right or wrong such as a test, it is the process they go through. Art whether it be dance, music, or theatre is meant to teach students beyond the norm and have them focus on creativity, collaboration, evaluating, analysing, etc. Art education goes deeper, it is meant to have the students learn about themselves and the world around them through the process, not the product.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]