View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NC Standards 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In many of my classes we have been discussing the North Carolina Standards of Education and whether it is useful or hinders your teaching. Personally, I see these standards more like guidelines but I'm a theatre education major so it must be different for other classes such as math. How do you feel about the standards?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Caitlin, I see them as more of guidelines, something to make sure that all is getting done as it should. They can be a pain in the ass but I think that they are necessary, otherwise there would be a huge range of information that is being taught with little or no common ground from school to school. And these things can/are always be revised/changed/adjusted on a statewide level.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To me they are guidelines. I don't think that the standards are set in stone and they tend to give to room to work within them. I like them and think they are very helpful when it comes to planning your lessons.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Standards get in the way of really teaching. I am a music ed major so this does not effect me as much but if a teacher has the flexibility to teach what the surrounding community would need most then the students would be more interested in what they were learning. Yes, some standards are needed so teachers just dont teach shop to guys and underwater basket weaving to girls (or whatever). But the standardized testing has forced this nation to focus on the tests and not on actually learning the materials to keep them forever in the students minds and not just long enough to remember for the test. So... yes some standards are good, but they should be a little more loose. Also, standards focus on math, english, and science... mainly, their are also other subjects that are just as good but do not have a standardized test... yet.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's good to have standards and guidelines to go by. I don't think the problem comes up with having the standards, but teaching to the test. It think we tend to lose all our freedom when we are under so much pressure to be assessed by standardized tests. So, personally, I like the standards because they offer guidance, but the real problem is standardized testing.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

They should be roads which we can travel to help teach our students the same across the state. I don't believe that they were intended to be set rules that we as teachers must follow. We as teachers should be aware of them and try to abide by them as much as possible, but I don''t think it would hurt to teach in a different way or on a different topic than what the NC Standards tell us to teach.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]