View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Integrating subjects 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Do you agree with the idea of integrating different subjects together? Or do you think that each subject should be taught separately? For example do you think that math and science should be taught separately at different times or should they be incorporated together?

I know teachers that agree with one or the other so I was wondering what your take on it was.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that history and music should always be integrated. There are times in history when many events had a profound effect on a composer and the piece he was writing at that time. If it was possible to get my students more into the music by knowing the background of the times, that would be great. For instance, if I knew that a history teacher was teaching about Napoleon, and I knew that the students understood what was going on then, I could teach about Beethoven's influence from that man's accomplishments and how he wrote a symphony in honor of Napoleon and go into the greater details that have been analyzed in that piece.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:18 am
All-star
All-star

personally, I've seen huge success with the integration of subjects. Last semester, I taught both language arts and social studies together when I taught my unit on the Holocaust. I taught the historical and social aspects of the Holocaust, and they were reading a book at the same time and doing language arts activities. It worked very well for me because I was pretty much teaching two subjects at the same time. Luckily for me, I picked out a great book for my students to read and they loved the book. So yes, integration of subjects can most definately work if it's done right.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Personally, in high school, my history class and my language arts class were integrated together. I had taken Paideia from my Freshman year through my Junior year (I didn't take Paideia my Senior year because it was not offered.). Paideia is a seminar session that is integrated into a regular curriculum. It can be used in any subject (not just English).

If you want to learn more about Paideia, here is the link: http://www.paideia.org/content.php/system/index.htm

In high school, I would learn about a certain historical event in history class, and then that event would be incorporated into my English class through literature. I believe that by having the same subject matter in two different classes, it is easier for students to retain information. When I become an English teacher, I plan on collaborating with the history teacher.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Integrating content to me is a great idea, it helps students that are better in one area of learning apply that knowledge to another area and I believe that would help some students that just don't get it otherwise. I personally do not have any background on this topic but I can see its value to education. We have all been there in "that" class as we ask ourselves why are we learning this or what does this have to do with anything. Well maybe having multiple areas cover the same subject it should be beneficial and answer those questions we've all asked.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]