View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Outside of Teaching 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that everything must have a balance in life including teaching. It is something that I want to do and I am very passionate about doing soon. Like all things you can't do it 24/7 without burning out in the first few years. What are some things (keep it PG) that you guys intend to do outside of teaching that will help bring balance in your life?

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it would be important to have some hobbies outside of teaching to help keep stress levels low. For example, I know many teachers who go back to some sort of school and learn a skill, like cooking, woodworking, ect. I think exercise is mega-important too. My mentor teacher last semester told me about how he has a few pieces of exercise equipment in his basement and how working out decreases stress. Me, I want to learn a new language after I graduate, so maybe I'll invest in a some language software to keep me busy. And exercise as well.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mentor told me to get my schoolwork, such as grading papers, done before I leave the school. He told me to try to avoid bringing any work back home with you, because you need time to yourself (to bring your sanity back from a busy day). I plan on actively using this advice.

I've said this in another post, but I really LOVE writing! It's just a wonderfully creative way for me to express myself. When I am typing a story on my computer, I am in my element. I also love reading, which has always been one of my favorite past-times. Reading is a very healthy way to escape and relieve some stress. Also, I plan on keeping silly putty in my desk drawer! I know that sounds silly, but if you squeeze and mold it with your hand, it actually releases tension. Lastly, I plan on traveling whenever I can afford it, in order to stimulate my mind with new and exciting things.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]