View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Will you put up a gay flag? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The panel the other day said that as gay students in high school it would have been nice to talk and relate to a supportive teacher. They suggested that teachers put up gay flags/small stickers to show that they are available if a gay student needed something.

As a soon to be teacher, do you think you will put up a gay symbol to let them know they are "safe" in your classroom?

Personally, I won't. I am from a strong Christian background and we don't believe homosexuality is what God wants for people. He created man and woman to be companions, not man and man or woman and woman. I have had many gay friends in the past and love them as a person but I don't support, respect or tolerate their lifestyle choice.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it would be better to offer more than just a "gay flag." I think in my opinion that a teacher should make the classroom comfortable for more than just straight, bi, or homosexuals. I don't know if a flag is always the right answer but i'm sure there a a lot of things for a teacher to do to sponser the idea the any personal beliefs are welcome whether they be sexual preferance or religious.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being that I am an elementary education major, it would not really do any good by putting gay symbols on my door because most elementary students do not know what they stand for. I also come from a very christian conservative family but as a open-minded future teacher I will
give all my students and their parents equal respect no matter what their lifestyle is.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I ideally want to teach K-2 so I don't really think a gay flag is necessary because the children probably would not even know what it means. I will however let the children know that they can come talk to me about anything and that it will be kept confidential. Maybe a big smiley face sticker would be better to have because it might help students feel more comfortable :)

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As an Elementary Ed major, I also don't think I would put up a gay flag in my classroom. Even as a highschool teacher, I do not think I would put up a gay flag. I would be available for students if they needed to talk and I try to respect all people. However, I don't necessarily agree with homosexuality and I don't think I would be able to put a flag on my classroom window stating that I do.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that I will be an open-minded teacher. I am going to be an elementary school teacher and I will find a way to let my students know they can come to me about anything. I will also not judge my students based on their parent's or their personal lifestyle. My classroom will be an equal opportunity classroom and I will respect everyone as long as they have respect for themselves. I believe that teachers need to be respectful of their students if they want respect in return. The teacher does not have to agree with the lifestyle, but no matter the teacher's personal beliefs there should be respect in the schools. A teacher is supposed to be someone the students feel comfortable with and like being around. If the students don't feel comfortable then your classroom will not have a pleasant atmosphere for you or the students.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i'm not sure if i would be able to put up a gay flag. i would hope that my students would know that i am an opened-minded teacher and that i wouldn't have the need to have a symbol to show my support for them.
i'm going to be a middle school teacher so i know i will have students who are trying to find their identity and will be dealing with their sexual identity. i hope, as their teacher, that my students would be able to freely come to me no matter what. i hope that they would feel my compassion and caring nature toward them without the flag.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wouldn't have a "gay flag" sticker, but I'd have a sticker that indicated my classroom was a hate-free zone.

Agood neutral symbol that is more about human rights and less about identifying as GLBT is the Human Rights Campaign logo:

http://www.hrc.org/

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can tell you right now that I absolutely would put a gay flag sticker up. I think that, even though it isn't what we are getting paid to do, being there for students creates an easy and comfortable environment for them to be in, gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, green, purple, and polka-dot. I'm not sure how much I could help them contribute to their soul-searching, because I have never been there where they are right now. But the best I can do is lend and ear, and I am proud to do that for them. I don't care about what other teachers have to say about it, or what the students do either, as long as they understand that even if they don't agree with it, I am there for them just as much as I am for those who are experiencing gender-confusion. i am an equal oportunity teacher, and PROUD TO BE!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Even though I don't agree with that lifestyle, I still respect the people. I would definitely want my students to know that they can talk to me about ANYTHING!!! I definitely want my classroom to be a safe zone for them and that they should feel free to talk with me about anything!

Fri May 01, 2009 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]