View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Free Country? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am pretty much in agreement with all that's been said so far and cannot think of much to add, but I do believe that freedom is a relative term and doesn't mean "yay, I can do what I want all the time". We are free in that we have rights given us, but there are also laws in place to prevent us from violating others' rights. By going to school we learn these rights and through social interaction we know how we like to be treated and how to treat others. If a kid asked me this question I'd say "you tell me" and then hopefully after either coming up with an answer or forgetting the issue entirely they will have thought about it.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is one of those questions that brings me back to when I was in school. It is a question I believe everybody asks at some point in their educational career, whether they speak it outloud or wonder it in their head. I know I have asked it before. Like most of the post, this is a country were we pride ourselves in our freedoms, but those freedoms still have limitations and exceptions. One of those being that we have to stay in school until we are sixteen. I am an elementary educations major and I know students that are going to be in my classroom are going to be curious. When answering this question I would let the student know that its a good question and there is really no one way to answer it. If I had to answer the question I would let the student know how important education is to their future.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Many great points have been made, and overall I agree. Hopefully, when I'm a teacher, I won't have to worry about students even thinking about not wanting to be in school but I know it happens. To students, I would stress that while freedom is a right, coming to school is a privilege and privileges should be taken advantage of. Also, I would remind them of the many things they like about school. If many students are interested in the topic, it could be a great chance to get student involvement. Depending on the age, students could write stories about why they like coming to school. Also, with older students, other countries could be explored and the ways in which they treat school. Then the students could compare and contrast the differences. I don't think, as teachers we should ever just tell our students the answer to anything. We should allow them to figure out the answers for themselves.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:43 pm

i agree with what justin ausburn said...about this is a free country...I think that argument would fly a little better with middle grades and high school students. They would not simply go for the fact that we go to school to be successful or that we go to school because it is required. I think middle schoolers need to know that we go to school because we have the privilege too, most people do not have free schools where they can go and have a meal provided for them and learn life lessons as well as things they will need to know for their future. You can either go to school and learn how to be a better person and use what you learn in school to be successful and have a role in society, or you can sit home and gripe about everything, but never be able to do something about it. I also agree that the answer to this question or query is situation based, you can not tell everyone the same answer because no one is alike. The person who lives in poverty and the rich person are going to look at the answer you give them from different perspectives and relate it to their lives.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I understand this whole "i wasn't satisfied with the answer 'because you have to'" business, but in the end, we live in the U.S. kids, even the little ones, today understand that things cost money. it's what is engrained in us from the beginning. they know that those iphones and mp3 players aren't cheap, especially the high schooler. Why isn't "so you can get a job and make money" a good answer?! If anything, I would think that it would be the most universally acceptable answer. Every one needs money, thusly everyone needs a job. Saying "so you can grow big and smart" just doesn't feel like enough. I mean, let's face it, there are plenty of jobs out there that don't require a whole lot of brain power. Instant and tangible gratification is the most effective method. Money is the root of all materialism; consumerism. TOYS TOYS TOYS! now that's something that makes sense to kids!

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2