View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Reactions to "Why Johnny Can't Disobey" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering what everyone thought about the reading "Why Johnny Can't Disobey." At first I didn't know what to expect when I started reading the article, but as I continued to read I started to realize what the article really meant. I have never questioned being too obedient before, but now I realize that it can cause problems. All of the examples of real life events that were presented in the article made me think about how students are sent to school with the words, "Do what your teacher says, and be good today." Statements like that produce followers or young people just trying to please the norm, not students eager to get an education. Which leads me to the part about people being scared to get in trouble because it is not the norm. How can we show children it is okay to do something that is not with the norm to produce something of their own creativity? Children who are allowed to freely express themselves (or go out of the norm) in school, at home, in the community could become the next great inventor, or famous person.

So what does everyone else think?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with Heather, that students are "taught" to follow the norm these days. I also feel like the ones who are told "be good today, don't cause any problems, make sure you do good on your test" etc. are the disobbdient ones. Some children want to rebell so they do the oposite of what they are told. So how can we help this students without telling them to follow a norm? Also, some parents tell their children that they better be good in school or their will be consequences. I feel like this is not incouraging the child to do well but it is a scare factor, that if they get in trouble they will be punished. Children to be doing well in school because they want to learn and want to be there not because they are "threatened" that if they don't do what they are told, or follow the norm, it is wrong. I also agree with Heather when she said that children who are allowed to express themselves good because someone famous or important. This is why we need creativity in our classrooms just as we talked about on Thursday. If we teach our students that they can be themselves and still do good in school without being a follower I think that will make a difference. Now I have a question, how do you think you can teach your students to be leaders instead of followers?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with the previous statements as well. I also never really thought about students being too obedient. Children have always been told to do what their teachers say, do their work, and do not misbehave. There is some logic to children being not as obedient to show their true selves. I feel like there are advantages and disadvantages to the obedience issue. If students were not as obedient, the classroom structure would be less organized and more chaotic. There would probably be more behavior problems as well, with everyone acting differently and not being as attentive to the teacher and assignments.
In response to the previous question about how to make students more leaders, there are always different tasks or projects that you could have your students participate in and "head up" the class. Group projects could always require a leader to head up discussions and tasks within the project and then rotate positions.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think there is a line that really needs to be defined here. As someone who often attempts to go against the norm, people often see that as "weird or crazy." Everyone remebers that person in school that thought they were going against someone else only to be imulating just a different steriotype. No matter what, there is and there needs to be some form of likeness especially in a school setting. With that said however, NO ONE STUDENT SHOULD EVER RELY STRICTLY ON ANOTHER PERSONS THINKING. Their is a reason that we are all a bit different and it is as simple as stateing that we are all different. In a school setting, every student has a unique set of difficulties just as they have a unique set of strengths. To simply play to the "averages" is setting students to fail later. I think that this paper does a fantastic job of explaining that not only in a school setting but also for when students leave school for essentially a different kind of world.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:40 pm
All-star
All-star

All of the previous statements that were discussed are exactly how I feel about this situation. I was really interested with this article and loved reading every word of it. I feel like many of you in the sense that children are taught to go to school, obey their teachers, and then come home with a smile on their faces. Something does need to be done about this because in the world that we are living in, today, children need to learn hoe to stand up for themselves more than ever. I think that this is be taught in a way without children being disrespectful and I believe that it is up to the teacher to think of ways to do this successfully. I feel that one of these successful ways of doing this is like Dr. Turner runs our class. Open fourems, discussions, and debates are a great way for children to express their feelings but their conversations still be able to be censored. What does everyone else think?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]