View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Reaction to "Remember Mai Lai" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This video stressed the importance of how the social climate a person is raised in (or in this case, trained in) can shape a person's view on their actions. These soldiers were trained to follow the orders of their superior officers, so when the time came to do just that they did. Just as a child is trained to take a test, these men were trained to "kill the opposition". When they were told to kill the inhabitants of Mai Lai, they did so under the orders of their superiors.

It sickened me to see the pain experienced by the innocent civilians of Mai Lai, pain that came as a result of another group's susceptibility to manipulation.

For me "Remember Mai Lai" really hammered home the importance of not allowing children to become too susceptible to "following to crowd."

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've never heard of this tragic event either. While watching the video, I couldn't help but think about the current war and wondering if the same thing is happening today. To the soldiers, at the time, I'm sure it seems like the right thing to do, but years later the world realizes it was wrong. I want to know if current day soldiers know about Mai Lai and if they would do the same thing today if commanded. I think humankind should learn from this awful mistake and I desperately hope that a similar video is not made a few years from now about a village in the middle east.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2