View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Preparing us for difficult situations 
All-star
All-star

I also have never learned much about what we saw in the video as sad as that is. I wanted to start another question to our forum, relating it more to teaching. One of the quotes stood out to me that one of the men that were being interviewed said. He said, "I am trained to kill, but it is very different than actually pulling the trigger" and thinking about this in educational terms it was fitting to think that we are all training to become teachers in the next few years, but there is not possible way for us to be prepared for every situation that we will come across in our job. My question would be how could we, as future teachers, become more prepared to handle situations like Dr. Turner presented us with today?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally think the best way to be prepared is to know ones own values and beliefs. With our morals and values, they can help us decide how to handle situations, when to get involved and when to keep our mouths shut. There is a lot more than education going on in schools and when a teacher faces these situations they need a basis to fall on to help them make those hard decisions.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Ashley about knowing your own personal beliefs. That is the best foundation for future situations you might encounter. If you know what you believe in and what you stand for then you should know how to respond to situations that you will be placed in throughout your life. I am not saying that you will have the right or best answer for every problem, but you will have a good foundation for how you believe which will lead you in the right direction (personally and professionally).

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with what has already been said, if you know yourself and your own values, morals, etc. This is especially important when the tough situations and decisions will directly effect your day to day life like the principal example from class. When dealing with challenging students, which I'm sure we will all have, I think that it is important to keep your morals in mind as well. I know that children will do and say almost anything, which could cause some controversy in the classroom but I'm sure it will also make every day exciting and each incident will better prepare us for the next!

Katie Stover

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree. I think that you need to make it very clear to each student that it is important to understand their own differences and understand their own personalities. Each students will act different in many different situations. I think it is up to us as teachers to help students become familiar to different situations so that they will be prepared and know how to act when they are in the real world. These men were doing something that they were ordered to do. They were not acting on their own behalf. As teachers i think it is important to help students understand that they must make their own decisions.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]