View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Education and schooling? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To continue the conversation about education and schooling from class today, what does everyone think? I posed the question whether a "well educated" person is someone who has a lot of schooling? I think that is the mindset that most people have in today's society. I think that education is the knowledge or skills gained from personal, social, and "forced" experiences. By forced I mean the basic information that teachers provide in the school setting. Education comes from being schooled but it also comes from other situations. You don't have to be schooled to have an education in my opinion, you just have to learn and have skills in the areas or situations you will be encountering in life.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Heather when she said you don't have to be schooled to have an education. You can be educated in many ways other than school. My mom did not finish High School and she is very educated in my opinion. She has been a single mom since I was 12 and she has always worked and made a living for herself. She might not be book smart but she knows enough to have a successful life. So no I do not think you have to be schooled to have an education.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely think that a person can be well-educated without schooling. Think about people from centuries ago that could not afford schooling, but were still educated. I was also thinking about how schooling does not necessarily mean educated. There are some children who become test-wise and may not be learning and gaining knowledge, but can get through the schooling part. However, just like there are different types of literacy's in the world, I think that there are different types of education. A person can be educated in many different aspects of life.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The phrase "well-educated" is very broad. Many people think that being well educated means that you have been in school or received some type of degree. And the reason for this goes back to what I said in class about the fact that education is seen as only pertaining to schooling. The basic requirement for most jobs is some form of educational degree, whether high school or college, and many people see that as a sign that you are knowledgeable. Knowledge can be applied to everything from car mechanics to rocket science, and I think that the stigma that goes with the word "education" alienates itself and prevents the word from taking a broader meaning beyond schooling.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:06 am
All-star
All-star

Like Kyle said, I think that "well educated" is a very broad term. Generally when someone is said to be well educated it brings to mind college and degrees but I believe that someone can also be well educated in a certain area. Anyone who has some type of specialized skill should be seen as being well educated because not everyone can do what they do. I believe that schooled better represents a formal type of education. Someone can be schooled in any type of area but most commonly reading, writing, and arithmetic in elementary school. Just because someone is "schooled" does not mean that they will be well educated because some students do not learn well in a classroom setting and do not retain all of the information. Some students reach the 4th grade or beyond without knowing how to read. Therefore they have been schooled in reading but they are not "well educated" in that field. I think that the two terms can be completely independent of one another because you can be educated without proper schooling and you can be schooled without being educated.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:40 am
All-star
All-star

I also agree with Katie, in the fact that the term well educated is very broad. As people stated in class, you can be educated in many different areas to make you well-rounded. I think that many people confuse the terms schooling and education because society now-a-days asks where you got your education at, referring to a school or college. I think schooling is the physical aspect of sitting in a classroom getting educated in certain core subjects. I also stated in my own group discussion that you will continue receiving an education throughout your life, it does not just stop once you are out of high school or college. You will learn many new trades, including educating yourself with the career you choose, or even moving from one place to another.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I think a well educated person is some one who is well rounded and is educated not just by books. The whole concept of going to a certain amount of school and being considered "well educated", I don't agree with. I could go to school for the rest of my life and be just as educated as I am now. I'm not what you call "book smart". But I am educated socially, and on the world that I live in and yes I have been "schooled" for 13 years so far, but that is not where all of my education comes from. I'd rather learn things by experience and being out in the real world and traveling and talking to many people than sitting in a classroom being lectured to. There are many ways to look at this education vs schooling and it seems there are a lot of right answers to this.

Casey Gill

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with many of you. I think that a very well educated person can not have much schooling, but at the same time a very well schooled person can may not have an education. For instance i know many people who have not been to college, or barely graduated high school, but they are very successful. At the same time i also know many people who have been to many years of schooling and they are very ignorant. By this i mean they have no common since at all. I think that by going to school it is important to receive good schooling, but also to receive a very good education. This means to learn about your peers and how to interact with them. Your education is what you receive through out your life. Schooling is the material you learn throughout your life.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with lots of you in the sense that one can be educated and have never been schooled. I know alot of situations where the person was never formally schooled but is so educated and lives a normal comfortable live to where they should feel very proud of themselves. Overall, I feel that people should not be looked down upon or judge by how many years they went to school but what they did with their life.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:48 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that a person can be educated and not have had schooling. Being educated to me means having knowledge, but that doesn't mean you have to get that from school. Real-life experiences and "learning things the hard way" through life lessons make an educated person in my mind. I think it is also true that a person can go to school, graduate from high school and college and not truly be educated. Especially today, students are just concerned with completing assignments just to get them done and get a decent grade, but they don't actually learn from them. In this case, you really could go through school and not be educated.

Overall, I think that you can be educated and not have schooling, and have schooling and not be educated.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with other people's posts that a person does not have to have years of schooling to be educated. In an article I read for one of my other classes, it discussed that farmers are highly educated people due to their high intelligence with science and philosophy. Farming is not an occupation in which you have to attend years of college but I still see these people as educated. I also feel like an educated person is someone who is book smart and life smart as in they basically have common sense. I have met many people who were book smart but said some of the most ignorant things. I feel like society today emphasizes that to be an "educated" person you must attend college and it overlooks people such as farmers, mechanics, etc. as educated people.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think their is a difference between schooling and education. I think that schooling is what you learn in school and that education is the overall things you have learned through life. A probelm I see is that some people get the two confused or the equate them to mean the same thing. Like some people have already said on here, people out their believe that the only way you are educated is by how much time you have spent in school. I know people who haven't been to college like me that know more about some topics then I will ever know. One topic that I am not educated in is cars and knowing what to do when their is something wrong. I am the girl thats has AAA and takes it to the repair shop. But some people are educated in cars and can just think anything dealing with it is easy. Just an example. haha.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]